Still getting letters

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Claire43
by Claire43 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:37 pm
Hi,

I had my IVA approved at the beginning of August this year and have made my first payment, but I am still getting letters and phone calls from the companies I owe money to demanding payments. Some have even sold the debts on to collection agencies. Does this mean they are no longer included in my IVA? I was under the impression that once the IVA was in place, they were not allowed to contact me.

I am getting very anxious and worried again, after feeling relieved I had everything sorted.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:43 pm
Nothing to worry about! It often takes a good few weeks for information to trickle down to the collectors ( who are sometimes third party organisations), just pass the letters on to your IP and ignore them. Debts are routine;y sold on and the new debt owners (who paid pennies for the debts) are also bound by the IVA in exactly the same way as the original creditors, again pass any letters on to your IP. If any creditors phone just tell them you are in an IVA and refuse to discuss anything further.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:31 pm
Agree - ignore them as they can do nothing. It does sometimes take time for things to filter down to the call centres
Claire43
by Claire43 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:12 am
Thanks guys. That does make me feel better about things. :)
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am
Claire43 wrote:
Thanks guys. That does make me feel better about things. :)

YOU are in control now (with the help of your IP ) :-)
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:47 am
Shred them. If you get calls refuse to answer security questions so they cannot continue with the call.
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:53 am
This is quite common and will stop. The main thing is that you are protected so any creditor that calls just send them a copy of the Chairman's Report which has all the information they need.
SteveUK
by SteveUK » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:37 pm
kallis3 wrote:
Shred them. If you get calls refuse to answer security questions so they cannot continue with the call.

I'm glad to see someone advising this. It was something I picked up on when we started our IVAs 5 years ago and it saved a lot of worry. The funny thing is the callers that then try to make out they are doing you a favour by ringing.

"But if you don't answer the questions how can we help you?" They whine.

:)

I never answer security questions from incoming calls unless I am expecting them e.g. I've rung them and they are ringing back
bridgey
by bridgey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:05 am
Sit back, relax, pay the IVA for 5 years and learn from the experience.

You’ll be a much better borrower ans person from the experience.... or at least that’s what I’m experiencing anyway
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”