Is it necessary to make payments for 6 months before offering a F&F ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
User avatar
chris393
Posts: 1
by chris393 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:50 am
Hi I’m just going through the process of applying for an Iva using swift, making a payment of £150pm but my farther in law has offered to make a full and final payment but swift are saying this is not possible as I have the means of making monthly payments is this correct, they have also said I have to make payment for 6 months before I can Offer full and final
The total amount of dept is £31000 and they won’t even give me a rough price for a full and final
User avatar
Foggy
Forum Expert
Posts: 24126
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 am
A full and final can be made at any time regardless of the ability to pay the regular installments. However, some proposals do have a condition that any variation cannot be proposed in the first 6 months or year. So check your proposal and Chairman's Report for that if your arrangement is a relatively new one.

Full and final offers (It is important that you do not use the term "settlement") are based on the number of payments you have remaining multiplied by the current monthly amount. They are often reduced a little due to the fact that creditors will be making a saving on administration as well as the "bird in the hand" factor.

However -- as you have not started your IVA (have not had the creditors meeting), why not put a hold on it and approach your creditors directly with offers ? Or opt for a lump sum IVA ?

For info on a F&F IVA have a look here: https://www.iva.co.uk/full-and-final-iva
User avatar
Michael Peoples
Industry Expert
Posts: 15188
Contact
by Michael Peoples » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 am
If your father in law is lending the money your surplus will be needed to repay him. You can also call a variation any time you like so there is no requirement for a six month wait. However if you did propose an IVA at a monthly payment and then settled six months later the IP would usually get a bigger fee than if you had just proposed a one off at the beginning. I suggest you get a second opinion.
User avatar
luluj
Forum Expert
Posts: 9870
Contact
by luluj » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:02 pm
Great father in law you have ! As others have said it is possible !
User avatar
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Posts: 6026
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 am
Consider doing a deal with creditors direct rather than through an IVA.

Pause the IVA application process now while you explore this option.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests