Waiting for IVA Proposal

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
19 posts Page 1 of 2
TruckerT
by TruckerT » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:25 am
Long story short - I am circa 25k in debt and have had many a sleepless night coming to the decision to go to a debt management charity (payplan) who were recommended by a work colleague.

Anyway I have set up new bank account and cancelled all my direct debit as advised, I have called all creditors and advised them of my financial problems and asked them to put my account on hold and to be fair all have been fine except Motonovo who got a little shirty with me but I think that was more the individual than the company and Vanquis who were fine but do not hold accounts.
I am going to make a token payment to both of these companies.

I have sent all required information to Payplan and am waiting for them to draft the proposal so things can move on.

I am very nervous now having taken a month to come to the decision to look for help, funny thing is I am not in arrears with any of my creditors which confused them all when I called them to advise of financial difficulties I suppose they are used to people defaulting before looking for help.

And so the journey begins !!!!!!!!

Question is how long will the process take from now on as my 30 day clock is running ??? because the thought of them constantly calling me is not filling me with joy.
Keith White
Industry Expert
by Keith White » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:46 am
You have done well to contact your creditors to explain your situation. And token payments where necessary are better than no payments. I would be inclined to ask Payplan for an estimated timeline from this moment on - and what you should say if you are contacted by creditors. It is likely be several weeks before a Creditors' Meeting is called.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:59 am
Most arrangements take a couple of months to get up and running ... Payplan maybe a little longer, but it shouldn't be too much. If and when a creditor calls just tell them you are going into an IVA and to contact the IP for information, should they require any. Do not get into any further discussion --- many creditors chase from third party call centres who are solely out to get a payment, some of the call handlers do not even know what an IVA is and will say anything to get that payment.
TruckerT
by TruckerT » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:05 am
Foggy wrote:
Most arrangements take a couple of months to get up and running ... Payplan maybe a little longer, but it shouldn't be too much. If and when a creditor calls just tell them you are going into an IVA and to contact the IP for information, should they require any. Do not get into any further discussion --- many creditors chase from third party call centres who are solely out to get a payment, some of the call handlers do not even know what an IVA is and will say anything to get that payment.

I have changed my home number and if needs be will use my company mobile instead of my own until the arrangements are hopefully made.
I suppose the only thing I will have no control over is the calls to my work which I'm hoping will diminish once I wont confirm their security information by verifying who I am ( ideas anyone ) :?:
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:19 am
You can always tell them not to call you at work as it may result in you losing your job so no job, no money.
TruckerT
by TruckerT » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:33 am
I am sure I have read somewhere that if creditors keep calling you at work once asked to stop that you can complain about the creditor is this correct or do you think that an email to the creditors before the calls start stating that no calls will be excepted at my place of employment due to the possibility of getting disciplined.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:45 am
TruckerT wrote:
I am sure I have read somewhere that if creditors keep calling you at work once asked to stop that you can complain about the creditor is this correct or do you think that an email to the creditors before the calls start stating that no calls will be excepted at my place of employment due to the possibility of getting disciplined.

Doubtful .... between you defaulting (missing a payment) and getting the IVA accepted you are fair game ... you owe them money .. they want some back. As long as they act "reasonably" ("reasonableness" is difficult to pin down until a court rules) and don't phone late at night or early morning, or divulge personal details to whoever answers the phone.
TruckerT
by TruckerT » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:52 pm
OK so proposal all sorted and have a date 3 weeks from now for the meeting, that seems really quick to be honest.
Now to just sit back and wait for the out come (fingers crossed)
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:38 pm
Best of luck.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:41 pm
Fingers crossed!
TruckerT
by TruckerT » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:46 pm
Thanks for the support guys, I will update as we go.

They told me they may need to ask me some questions between now and the meeting is this standard procedure ?
would it be the creditors asking questions before the meeting ??
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:54 pm
TruckerT wrote:
Thanks for the support guys, I will update as we go.

They told me they may need to ask me some questions between now and the meeting is this standard procedure ?
would it be the creditors asking questions before the meeting ??

Sometimes a creditor comes up with a question before the meeting and sometimes at the time of the meeting.
TruckerT
by TruckerT » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:30 pm
Hi All,

So my creditors meeting has taken place and although my payments have been increased by £100 per month due to my budget having some high cost which were above guide lines its been accepted :D :D :D :D
No more sleepless nights for me I think.

Now I thought about it and ultimately if I were to refuse the payment increase request then I would be left with offering a DMP which I figure would cost me more in the long run due to some creditors adding interest for a while and doing the maths could take me 7.5 years at a guesstimate to pay off, plus they could hassle me along the way

I am happy they didn't ask to increase the payment to 72 months so all in all I am happy and will be counting down the 60 months to being debt free I know it is going to be tough a times but I'm sure its better than having sleepless nights and dark thoughts and I know you lot will have advice for me if required.

I shall be on and off the site as I am sure there will be pit falls along the way and I dont feel as isolated as you lots have either been through this or are going through it

Thanks everyone for your input upto know at least I know where I stand and time scale involved :D :D :D
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:39 pm
Well done TT --- here's to a smooth journey. Yes we are always here to help should you need it.
TruckerT
by TruckerT » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:56 pm
Thanks FOGGY,

One thing I have noticed is that the chairman's report mentions modifications to the background stuff about IP charges etc for which there are 12 but doesn't mention the required modifications to my budget which has pushed up my payments £100 per month is it normal for this modification to be omitted from the report :?: :?: :?:
19 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”