what happens with IVA payments when a couple split

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Olivia.dg

Post by Olivia.dg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:31 pm
Hello,
We are 2 years and 9 8 months into our IVA.
My husband has a serious mental health problem and last week he decided he could not cope with the money worries anymore. He says he is moving out and wants his own place. He will not be able to afford this. Obviously i want to work this out but just wondering what happens with IVA payments when a couple split and is there any way i can change or get an interest only mortgage to help me out?

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:56 pm
IVA payments will remain in situ - however it is best that you discuss this with your IP so that theycan consider whether a reduction is possible to help resolve th situation slightly. You have come so far, it is a shame to see things go to this stage if they can help !
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:21 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum. I would recommend speaking to your IP about this as it may be possible to split the IVA so you can continue paying yours.

Mattybaldy

Post by Mattybaldy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 pm
I asked my IP this as a hypothetical question a while back.

She said that, as long as the payments could still be made between the two people, the IVA could continue.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:31 am
Hi Olivia.dg, sorry to read about your problems at the moment. you definitely do need to speak to your IP asap to look at the income and expenditure again. If your husband is moving out to another place (hopefully temporarily) the costs will increase and how will you manage the shortfall between you.

If you tihnk this is a temporary situation your IP may be able to get your payments suspended for a short term and add onto the end of your IVA. Or you could have your I&E revised to see what you can afford on your own (getting interest only mortgage would help with additional disposable income).

Either way I hope you get it sorted soon but it is only your IP who can actually help you practically moving forward.

Best wishes and keep us posted,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”