When to stop paying creditors

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Anewhope
Posts: 10
by Anewhope » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 pm
I’m in the very early stages of trying to begin an IVA, I have an appointment with stepchange on Wednesday to discuss the first steps . But when should I stop paying creditors ? I’ve not missed payment before and not sure if it’s too early as I haven’t spoke to an IP yet however most of my payments will come out in the days either side of my appointment so not sure whether to stop these or just the ones following speaking to the IP.
User avatar
Foggy
Forum Expert
Posts: 27117
Contact
by Foggy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 am
Personally I waited until the IVA had been fully discussed and I knew that was the way I was going. I didn't want to get so far behind that I couldn't take remedial action if the creditors refused. I saved what would have been the payments as an emergency fund (which was well needed during the course of my IVA).
User avatar
luluj
Forum Expert
Posts: 10244
Contact
by luluj » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:12 am
I would wait until the iva proposal has been written to creditors and you have agreed its content
User avatar
Mrs_Brown
Posts: 86
by Mrs_Brown » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:40 am
I paid everything up to date, my meeting was mid Nov and I made payments on Nov 1st. With hindsight I would probably have paid my debts on the latest dates I could after payday rather than on the day I was paid,as that way I wouldn't have paid anything in November, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and I wouldn't have gotten where I am with hindsight.
User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 73607
Contact
by kallis3 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 am
I stopped mine immediately as I couldn't afford them at all. I was on a DMP though so I told that company and went with Payplan for an IVA.
mumof3
Posts: 48
by mumof3 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:53 am
I stopped paying as soon as I had spoken to stepchange and decided an IVA was the way to go. We couldn't afford to keep paying. It also let us build up a bit of an emergency fund, which came in handy as we got a large vet bill in.
User avatar
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Posts: 6957
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:57 am
Wait until your meeting, then consider stopping payments.
User avatar
kallis3
Forum Expert
Posts: 73607
Contact
by kallis3 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:10 am
Agree with mumof3 - build up a contingency fund.
Anewhope
Posts: 10
by Anewhope » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:03 pm
Thanks for replies , bit of a mixed bag! As it happens it’s likely that I won’t have money available for some of the direct debits so having spoke with stepchange will hold paying anyone just in case it looks like I’m favouring anyone and I can hopefully put a little aside .
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ryan and 35 guests