Who do I do my IVA with?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
FanK
by FanK » Tue May 01, 2018 9:18 am
How do I choose who to go with for IVA?.
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:39 am
Phone a few companies, outline your debt to them and gauge their response. Look at online reviews?, but remember most people who have a great relationship don't write about it, those who have bad relationships will let the world know. I was with Grant Thornton (not my first choice, but my choice got bought by them), anyway, there were pages of bad stories about GT. My IVA went without a hitch and I had a great relationship with GT, go figure. Research or recommendations are about the best options you have. Don't sign anything by being pressured, your debt will not escalate hugely in a month or two while you sort out who is going to give your the best 'Individual' conditions.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:48 am
Have a look round on the forum and see who people have used - smaller firms are sometimes better.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 am
I can only agree with the above --- "Experts" aren't allowed to recommend, but hopefully a few members will come along and share their experiences. Mine was the same as Merlins, bought by GT (Now Aperture) and they were really helpful, timeliness aside. At the moment though, they are a bit "under the cosh" with new acquisitions. I think I happened to find a diamond among the staff who went the extra mile.
FanK
by FanK » Tue May 01, 2018 11:20 am
Thanks Merlin.
This is very helpful. I got contacted by a company called Prestige Solutions. They sounded ok. Not sure if anyone has heard or dealt with them. I can't find anything for them online. I'll keep searching
Regards
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:34 pm
If you were cold called I would look elsewhere. I've not heard of this company and there are lots of small companies out there.

As a point of interest - how did they you were looking into an IVA?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Tue May 01, 2018 12:43 pm
I would not, personally, pursue an appication with any company that cold called me ... preferring to research and choose my own.
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:50 pm
As the experts are not allowed to dispense a named company, I as not an expert will. I have been a member since Oct 2011, not a long time really. However I am a long time contributor and visit the site to read posts almost every day, even though my IVA is done and dusted. During my time as a member the name McCambridge Duffy has always seemed to be aligned with good outcome posts, they have a rep on here who also reads, almost daily, the posts. I have seen them give advice and support of members who are not even 'clients' of theirs. So if I were to be entering an IVA and not knowing what my next step was to be then I would certainly give McCD a call.
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:04 pm
BTW, a quick Google search finds Prestige Solutions, but their blurb suggests they are an agent and would do the initial conversations and such, but then pass you on to a preferred IP under commission. Forget them and forget any 'provider' who asks for a deposit or upfront payment. Use this period to put away a bit of cash, just for emergencies. Change your Bank if they are a creditor (a must do) Barclays and Co-Op do basic accounts, the Barclays one you need to go to a branch to open, not sure on the Co-Op one. Get you wages into the new account asap as if your current bank is a creditor they could use stalling tactics to freeze or even withhold money in the account. If your Bank are not a creditor then be aware that once they find out you are in an IVA they could cancel the account immediately (leaves you up the creek...) so you need to be aware and forearmed for that situation. All sounds dire and doom and gloom, but the more information you have prior to stating the IVA route the better prepared you will be. Good luck.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:35 pm
Co-op you can do over the phone or in branch.

I would also recommend going into any online accounts you have and removing phone contact numbers.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:42 pm
MCD haven't posted on here for a while now.
Keith White
Industry Expert
by Keith White » Tue May 01, 2018 3:29 pm
Well worth talking to more than one company and as others have said read reviews, and don't be pressured into deciding before you are ready.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:38 pm
Going back to banks - don't touch HSBC or First Direct with a barge pole! Even if they are not a creditor, they trawl the Insolvency Register and are well known for closing accounts.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Tue May 08, 2018 1:55 pm
I'd be happy to help if you haven't found anyone yet or give you a second opinion.
FanK
by FanK » Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 pm
Thank you all very much for the advice and help. I'm still getting my way round this website hence the late reply. I'll follow up on the links and phone numbers provided.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”