Who is the governing body of IVA's ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
nicola381
by nicola381 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:47 pm
I would like to know who the governing body is of IVA's. I feel I am not being treated properly.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:47 am
There is no "governing body" as such. The whole thing is overseen by the Insolvency Service, who do not police or interfere with IP's at all. There are several regulatory bodies, one of which your IP must belong to, who will issue warnings and fines (but, again, will not intervene directly) and you can make a complaint to them via the government gateway here:

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-insol ... actitioner

They advise you make a formal complaint through your IP's internal complaints process first.

Might I ask why you feel this way ?
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:12 am
Be interesting to know the problem - we may be able to help.
HMRCBFAIR
by HMRCBFAIR » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:33 am
From my experience the whole process is a total waste of time, physical and emotional effort.

First you have to follow the process that is basically designed to prevent you from complaining anyway

1. You complain direct - obviously a waste of time - in my case the answer even came for the person i was complaining about! But this breach of declared protocol never even bothered the professional body who were clearly just interested in protecting their own

2. Then you go through the "are you allowed to formally complain process" and fill in lots of questions and then wait ages

3. I cleared all these hurdles eventually and thought ok maybe something happens but NO they just side with their own, defend the actions, trivialise the misdemeanours, have no regard for what is written in the code of ethics - leave you feeling its all a set up - whole thing is a charade.

IP supervisors have a lot of power - be careful who you choose and I would say that taking them to court is the only way you will get any meaningful redress which isnt going to be worth it or practical for most of us.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:37 am
It depends on the reasons and why the OP thinks they have been treated unfairly. Be interesting to know who the company is.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:48 pm
Every IP has their own Licensing authority - there are quite a few providers like the ICAEW or IPA.

To complain you can go here:

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-insol ... actitioner
redboxtree
by redboxtree » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:28 pm
If you need to find the right wording that will be considered look here https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ctitioners.

This link also identifies recent sanctions made against IP's.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:33 pm
I think we still need to know what the OP's problems are.
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”