Will my IP request that i put the whole redundancy pay of £8000 into my IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
charlieboy
by charlieboy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:45 pm
Our joint overall debt was approximately £50,000. Under the terms of our IVA, only 15% of this is repayable over 6 years, that is £7,500. We are 3 years into the agreement and we have paid a total of £3,750 so far, remaining a balance of £3,750 over the next 3 years. MY QUESTION:I am expecting a redundancy pay of £8,000. Will my IP request that i put the whole redundancy pay of £8000 into my IVA since the original debt before IVA was £50k or I will be required to pay only the £3,750 outstanding under the IVA?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:19 pm
During an IVA you always owe the full original debt, plus fees and possible statutory interest --- only at the end is anything unpaid written off. If you pay in extra money (overtime, compensation, PPI, or a lottery win) it increases the amount of debt you repyy, but does not shorten the IVA.

With regard to the redundancy compensation you are going to get, assuming you have the usual clauses, you are normally allowed to keep the equivalent of 6 months salary with which to live and pay the IVA while looking for a new job. The rest is payable into the IVA. If you find work in, say, three months, then the "unused" part of the 6 months money you were allowed to keep (3 months salary) has to be handed back to the IP to go into the IVA.
admin
Site Admin
Contact
by admin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:33 am
Hi Charlie,

If you are reading this, please login to the forum to post your reply. We have received your reply message. We can only post a new question on your behalf but to reply to your question, you have to login to the forum.

If you are facing any difficulty in accessing the forum, please write to us at: https://www.iva.co.uk/contact

We will have to discard your reply directly received. Sorry.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:38 am
If your IP allows you to keep some of the redundancy money and you find new income, you might be able to use the balance to put forward a full and final offer to finish your IVA early.

F&F video here:

https://youtu.be/h4dozq9aGak
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”