Will my IVA be rejected if I pay for my booked holiday ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Coline81
by Coline81 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:15 pm
I have just sent off my signed IVA proposal, i got into serious debt due to a gambling problem. I have read that it is possible that creditors may ask for the past 3/6 months bank statements to prove i haven't gambled which is fine as I am 1 year clean today :) my concern is we have a holiday booked and I have to pay off £750 before the 22nd Nov (my dad is paying for half of it so technically only £325 is being paid by me and my husband) if they ask for the bank statements and see £750 being paid to a holiday company will the reject my proposal?
MerlinL14
by MerlinL14 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:42 pm
A difficult one, you may have to come out before you are found out. Telling your IP about the arrangement will surely lighten the stress it will cause if you don't and then maybe your IVA gets rejected. At least if he/she is forewarned they can submit the details of the payment rather than being caught out on the back foot.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:49 pm
Can your dad not pay the balance out of his account and you then siphon back your half to him in a few cash withdrawals ?
Coline81
by Coline81 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:53 pm
He lives abroad so would be sending me the money via paypal. I could get a friend to pay it and then pay them back gradually. I think this is my best option as don't want to mess up my chances of getting approved.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:56 pm
I agree with Foggy - if he will fund you, you can then pay him back out of your allowances.
tuktuk50000
by tuktuk50000 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:57 pm
Hi

I started my IVA back in 2007 and then I went travelling a month later I told my advisor that I had a gf abroad and I put that in my paying in and paying out costs that I need to travel abroad a couple of times a year they said that was fine

I was also made redundant 2 years after starting my IVA and I had the redundancy payment I told my IVA company this and said would it be possible for me to travel at that time and also use the money to pay for 3 months worth of IVA as I would not be working

they said yes I was told that I had to let them know when I was out of the country which I did So maybe at some point if they needed to contact you and were out of the country and you had not told them they may question you as to how you got the money for that

Once you are in the IVA its 100% honesty and trust When I was made redundant I was stuck at home for 3 years I had no work only some bits of part time I sold eveytihing of value and it was a very tough time to get through I had no money at all lost contact with friends etc the whole lot as bad as it can get

But I got to the end and as soon as I had the money I went on holiday as that was my motivation to get back abroad and when I got the hotel I was punching the air in celebrration to myself I DID IT !!

play it straight you are in debt and you owe money

stay strong
luluj
Forum Expert
Contact
by luluj » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:36 am
Great post ... yes honesty is defintely the best policy !
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:33 am
If your Dad is paying half from his money and your husband is (presumably) paying half of the balance then you are only paying c£190 so I would expect your personal statement (if not a joint acc) to only show £190 coming from you.

Your IP should have asked to see bank statements and declared your bank balance in the proposals so if they thought you had material savings creditors can ask for some to be paid over.

I can't see it will be an issue but the expenditure could cause you to struggle with your contributions.
Coline81
by Coline81 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:19 am
Hi...thanks for all the replies...i wasn't asked for my bank statement. I might email my case worker and ask her if I should send these over in case they ask for them at the meeting. Meeting has been booked for the 20th Nov and holiday has to be paid on the 22nd. Just going to get someone to pay it on their card and give them the cash (eventually) to be on the safe side.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:21 am
Seems like a good plan to me.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:22 am
If you haven't been asked for your statements then don't send them. They will ask if they want them.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 am
I agree with Lisa -- no need to be poking sleeping bears with sharp sticks !
watzki
by watzki » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:14 pm
I agree I didn't need to send bank statements for my meeting,so if they don't ask don't send
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”