Will my IVA company understand I'm not able to claim on the joint PPI ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
J5453
by J5453 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:48 pm
Hi, I'm due to complete y IVA in a few months. It should feel like light at end of the tunnel but I've got a problem with this PPI claim policy that's come into force after the 2017 ruling. I claimed successfully every bit of PPI long before I had to go into an iva. But I know as part of my iva terms I must revisit these companies to see if they kept any back from me. That's the easy bit. I intend to do the paperwork myself as the whole point of this is to get as much money for the iva and so my iva company are happy for me to do this as any company they appoint will take a share of any successful claim. It pains me to give away money in this respect! So happily I will do the legwork but it I st dawned on me that some of the PPI I had was jointly with my ex husband. We had been separated since Feb 2009 and divorce finalised in 2014, absolute. We do not have any contact whatsoever and we are both in our next relationships with no money ties or children to keep any contact going. I do not know where he might be living and I have moved and do not want him to know where I'm living. How do I navigate the problem of not being able to claim on the joint PPI. Will my iva company be understanding? I can't call them as closed for Christmas now! Any help will be appreciated.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:09 pm
They should be understanding -- as should the lenders dealing with the claim, especially if there is any hint of DV involved.
J5453
by J5453 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:46 pm
Foggy wrote:
They should be understanding -- as should the lenders dealing with the claim, especially if there is any hint of DV involved.

Hi Foggy, thanks for replying. No DV involved but a case of both moved on, no need or desire to be back in contact. It's through the break up that I had to go into the IVA and it's coming up to the end of 6 long years. I am looking to the future not wanting to rake up the past. Like I said we have nothing to do with each other and I would be more than annoyed if made to try and make any form of contact because of PPI.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:34 am
Hopefully you can speak to your company after the Christmas break and, as Foggy says, they will be understanding.
J5453
by J5453 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:09 pm
Hi,

They were understanding saying just to write to those creditors explaining the circumstances and just try to pursue my half of the PPI.

They are happy for me to pursue rather than use their chosen PPI claim firm however I’ve not had a reply to my question which followed from being told that if I claim myself then they will keep my IVA account open to allow any payments to be taken. As opposed the if I use their firm it will be closed? But they say my completion can still take place even whilst waiting for this to happen. Am I silly to do the legwork which I know isn’t much these days myself if they keep the account open as a consequence?

What does that actually mean practically speaking? Once I’ve completed, I can cancel my standing order right? But yet my account is still open? Can I clear my credit file or will it still show on there even if I send a certificate but account still open? I’m confused!

Also not sure if anyone can answer this one with regards the my credit file. One of the loans that went into my iva was a joint loan but since I was split from the joint applicant, they were happy to pursue me for my half. This has been a 6 year Iva and I know the Iva drops off my file 6 years after starting so pretty soon if not immediately after I complete and send in certificate. The question is can I then be disassociated from my ex for this joint loan? I want no links on my file and surely I’ve sorted my part of the bargain out even if he hasn’t as I’ve no idea if they even pursued him for any payments at all?

Thank you again for your help. This forum is by far the best for straightforward answers.
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 am
Regarding "keeping the account open" --- as long as you get your completion certificate it will, as far as you are concerned, be over. They will simply keep it active on their system as there might be more coming in which will need to be distributed. Confirm with them that they will, indeed, actually issue the certificate and report the IVA closed to the Insolvency Service.

Personally I would have let them do their own legwork --- they will be getting their cut anyway. I used to be of the mind that I would prefer the claims company cut to go to the creditors, but have become somewhat jaded of late.

On the joint loan, you are (or will be) absolved from your part in it and it will become the sole responsibility of the other party. As such it should be removed from your credit file. The CRAs should be willing to disassociate you.
J5453
by J5453 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:54 pm
Hi Foggy,

Thank you for your reply. As always very assuring and helpful.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”