Will partners gambling affect my IVA application

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
laura788
by laura788 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:35 am
I am currently obtaining my documents for an IVA. I have a joint bank account with my partner but it is only me that is applying for the insolvency.
However, there are transactions on our bank statements for gambling sites that he has used. Will this affect me when I submit my last 3mnths worth of statements?
Foggy
Forum Expert
Contact
by Foggy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:56 am
You might need to convince your IP / Creditors that these entries are not yours. You should also open your own seperate bank account and remove yourself from the joint account as your IVA could affect the credit records of anyone you have any joint account with.
kallis3
Forum Expert
Contact
by kallis3 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 am
I agree with Foggy - disassociate yourself from any joint accounts and keep your finances separate.
Mrs_Brown
by Mrs_Brown » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:55 am
Definitely get yourself off any joint accounts before an IVA as they will likely be suspended or close which may mean your partner not being able to access their own income, plus of course as mentioned above, the risk of credit impact
Radish
by Radish » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:41 pm
Even if your partner is a sensible gambler, in control (many people are), the creditors will realise that gambling is different to the way it was in the 70's and 80's. Its now all day, 24/7 and available everywhere. And in the wrong hands, very dangerous, think we all know this as we probably all know someone who has a problem. Definitely not the old two bob each way on the National anymore. It could send alarm bells ringing.

I've been writing a book on the subject for the last 12 months and its still not finished. Complex stuff.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”