Work opportunity, good or bad?

22 posts Page 1 of 2

antm

Post by antm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:29 am
Well an opportunity has come up at work, currently im in a career limbo so to speak, im not sure what my next move is and talking to my PTM has got me no where, and my direct boss is about as helpful as a choc teapot. Well another friend is a deputy and has told me that we need 50 management coaches to go out to ireland which we help me fast track my career so i can move on to a deputy store manager role.

So i spoke to my other half, and she isn't impressed, we have an on/off relationship sometimes its great other times we don't see each other for weeks, she is really upset that i could be thinking of going to ireland for 3 to 6 months, on the iva front it would be a massive bonus as i get expenses and a company car, i could pay an additional £200 a month into my IVA.

I don't know, and my only other thing getting in the way is that my PTM refuses to believe that they have vacancies when ive been told there are. So after some wisdom!

lukeofyorkshire

Post by lukeofyorkshire » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:05 pm
Hi antm. This is a real tough one and I am sure you will get lots of opinions.

My personal opinion is partners should be supportive of us paying more into our IVA's and career advancement. This is as long as it does not have a detrimental effect on the relationship.

Now from your post I am guessing you do not live together and have no kids???

Given the nature of your relationship that you often do not see each other for weeks anyway I think 3-6 months of you working away is not as bad as say a couple who live together and have kids who are never apart.

Ultimately it's up to you my friend but If I was you I would do it as it will be good for your career, your bank balance and your IVA. If your partner can't see that or doesn't care then thats her problem. My Wife was like that and I regret not doing a lot of things now.

Best of luck.
1st payment Oct 2008, last payment Dec 2013. Certificate received March 2015 due to PPI claim.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:15 pm
Hi antm,

On the personal front, I would go for it. Ireland isn't the other side of the world and I'm sure you and your girlfriend could visit each other?

Are the vacancies advertised internally? That way you could show your PTM the vacancies do exist. Failing that ask your HR department direct for confirmation of the vacancies.

Sounds like a great opportunity for you...in the short term you can pay more to your creditors and in the long term it's a great career move. Win, win, win situation methinks [;)]

Good luck and let us know what you decide xx

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:54 pm
Sounds like a good opportunity to me, good luck with whatever you decide and do let us know what you decide won't you? x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

antm

Post by antm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:30 pm
You have to be nominated for the vacancy, and i have been nominated by someone i used to work with, its all about contacts, im chuffed to be nominated and yep i come home every 3rd weekend, but the mrs is really upset of the thought of me going away, we don't live together and never have, we have been together for nearly 10 years, and no kids yet so nothing stopping me

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:51 pm
Oh you have to go for it! Tell your girlfriend, absence makes the heart grow fonder [:)]

Sounds like too good an opportunity to pass up and well done for being nominated!

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:51 am
I think you'd regret missing a find opportunity like that x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

lukeofyorkshire

Post by lukeofyorkshire » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:10 am
I'll echo the well done's. It's nice to be recognised at work [:D]

Again as others have said you have to go for it if you get to come home every third weekend.
1st payment Oct 2008, last payment Dec 2013. Certificate received March 2015 due to PPI claim.

antm

Post by antm » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:14 pm
Well had a 1-2-1 with my store manager today, didn't quite go as planned, she wants me to run another dept in store, ive been a produce, or fresh foods manager for the last few years. A month ago i took counters and produce which has been interesting, as i know nothing about a deli, now the bombshell, she wants me to take bakery as well to stretch me, i sat there stunned, i told her it wasn't on my career plan. She made it quite clear that she would oppose any move outside store as i was an asset and she has lost too many managers in the last few months.

So im stuck, i can be a bakery and counters manager or keep produce and counters, ether way i have 2 depts on a single pay.

Ive phoned a friend who used to be a bakery manager and he has advised and called my contact for Ireland who told me, ive been removed from the nominated list by someone higher up than him, so im stumped now.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:21 pm
Oh thats not good. Could you speak to your area manager? I'm sure they would want to see you progress within the company.

Failing that I would speak to HR and ask why you've been removed from the nominated list as you belief your career is being limited for some reason.

antm

Post by antm » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:40 pm
Ive spoke to my PTM, she states that they won't take managers from new stores in the first year of the store opening, seems just rubbish to me, as we have lost 4 managers to other stores already, seems a shambles. Ah well i guess its a choice of Bakery or keep my beloved produce, which has been mine since we opened, really don't want to give up my team to take on a disfunctional team that we have in the bakery. [:(!]

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:50 pm
Hmmm but if you take the bakery challenge and turn it around ( I'm sure you will) wouldn't that help your career? You obviously have delivered with produce, so maybe time to move on?

You could challenge the reasons you've been given from your PTM. Not easy I know, but it doesn't seem fair to me.

lukeofyorkshire

Post by lukeofyorkshire » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:21 am
Thats disgusting antm and I really feel for you.

As for the conduct of your Store Manager I can see where they are coming from as to wanting to keep you but to hold you back from what you want to do is unprofessional.

I would suggest just do whats been given to you to the best of your ability, shine like I'm sure you do by the sounds of it and get out of that store and myabe go to another company where they act properly towards staff mate as sounds like a bunch of idiots to me.

Best of luck.

antm

Post by antm » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:54 am
Well having the weekend off has given me time to reflect, we always talk think about the benefits and the concerns, i have a list ready and waiting for my next 1-2-1.

Still very much undecided but maybe i might see a light at the end of the tunnel!

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 pm
Any update on the opportunity antm?
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “friends corner”