Working in the finance sector

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
michelle189
by michelle189 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:50 am
I currently work in a bank and over the years I have accumulated a lot of debt and I feel like I am drowning due to ex partners and being left as a single mum and full time career. I love my job and have been doing it for 8 years advising people. I am starting to see no alternative but to start a clean slate and get help but I don't want this to effect my career. Has anyone else who is currently in role gone into an IVA and what issues or complications did you come across. I keep my personal life and finances very separate to my work advice but I don't want to go into something that could jeopardise my career.

I am considering going self employed as I have a close friend who is directly authorised who would deal with my compliance, if you are self employed do you have to do a due diligence annually still and declare your financial position as I do now in the bank?

My credit file is perfect with payments up to date and never a missed / late month on anything.
Lisa Thomas
Industry Expert
Contact
by Lisa Thomas » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 am
How much is your debt?

Does your contract of employment prevent you from going Bankrupt or entering an IVA?

If in doubt you could have an anonymous conversation with HR to explore your options.

Then you can decide whether a chance of career is necessary or not and what the best options are for you.
Shaun Vickery
Industry Expert
Contact
by Shaun Vickery » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 pm
Anyone who you work for in Financial Services will need to do due diligence on a regular basis but it's up to them specifically how they choose to manage your ability to perform your role. Ultimately they'll be responsible for evidencing appropriate controls to the FCA and they'll need to decide whether any additional supervision would be required to ensure that any advice you give is appropriate etc. and make sure there is no increased risk of client detriment as a result. I've employed Advisers in the past who've also had their own financial difficulties previously - they're often the most empathetic. My advice would always be to be up-front. Self-employed positions often carry more unpredictable income though - something to consider under the circumstances. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”