Worried im getting scammed

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

topgunpete

Post by topgunpete » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:41 pm
Hi all, im new here so bear with me.

Im currently in an iva as of january this year. I received a letter from my iva company on saturday stating that a potential creditor has come forward and the total of our debt has increased by over 10%, it has turned out that they had recieved an email from a Pavile Nicotene? who was acting on behalf of a guy called dimitri who wanted to make a claim against me for £17690!

I have never borrowed this amount of money in my life and now am worried that someone has obtained the fact im in an iva and who the company dealing with my case are and they are trying to con me. The email was from a personal email address not a professional one, but my iva company will not froward the email to me due to data protection!!

I now have an agonising week to wait before i can get any news, has anyone else had or heard of these scams?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:44 pm
This sounds well dodgy to me.

It is easy for anyone to find out if you are in an IVA and know who your IP is.

You need to insist on knowing what is in that email as it concerns you and your finances.

I would think about involving the police.

I've not heard of this one before.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

topgunpete

Post by topgunpete » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:58 pm
Hi all, I spoke to ip today, they read the email contents to me, the spelling was bad and they said it looks dodgy. They have sent correspondance to the people concerned but havnt had any replies, even though they say it looks dodgy they have to proceed as if it is a genuine creditor and the letter stated that we would be in a formal breach of the iva!1

Bad times here :(

topgunpete

Post by topgunpete » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:27 pm
yes sorry i recieved a letter from my ip on saturday.

I have just looked at the insolvency register, im appalled how much info is on there. talk about child in a sweet shop!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:57 pm
I wonder how many other people will have this happen to them?

It's bad enough when you get the normal scam emails, but to do this is dreadful.

I'm sure it will be sorted soon - this person will not be able to provide anything to back up his claim.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”