0870 numbers

12 posts Page 1 of 1

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:30 pm
Hi,

All the letters, phone calls etc to do with financial (and most other things these days) have either 0870 or 0845/0844 numbers. These cost, especially if you are on BT Option 3 and don't pay for normal calls.

I don't know if people on the Forum are aware of the site 'Say no to 0870'? It's a brilliant site. All you do is type in either the number or name of the firm, and if they have either an 0800 or geographical number it is on there for you to ring.

I use it all the time, and ok, they don't have every number, but it is extremely useful.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Wizzard

Post by Wizzard » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:52 pm
Very true Kalli, I use it all the time and those I can't get if the call lasts longer than ten minutes I do my damndest to get back from whom I'm calling as a compensation. I made £45 last month :)
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:53 pm
Hi Ray,

I've never thought of compensation. How did you go about that?
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

janderson

Post by janderson » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:57 pm
Hi All

I know how you feel, it drives me mad to get these calls and have to line the pockets of banks, building societies and now our local authority has some 0845 nos to ring if you need certain services. We put a message on our answerphone to tell anyone ringing from 0845 or 0870 nos we will not return these calls they will have to keep trying until we are in. I am alos interested in how you can be compensated for these numbers.

John [}:)]

Wizzard

Post by Wizzard » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:00 pm
Hi Kalli

I just shouted at them re the cost of the call, works brilliantly if you have been on hold for awhile. doesn't work for everyone but works often enough to make it worthwhile .... and sometimes keeps them off your back for a few weeks too lol
Last edited by Wizzard on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:24 pm
I shall have to try that next time it happens. I will still try the geographical number if I can as it costs nothing at all.

If anyone is with Payplan, there is now a geographical number instead of the 0844 number. We have used this today and it works fine.

The number is 01476 583238.
Bob Marley.

maxdebt

Post by maxdebt » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:24 pm
Yep this is a great website. This morning I used it to contact AOL and spoke to them for 20 minutes sorting out something. Used my mobile inclusive minutes so cost to me..... NIL!! [:D]
My thanks to Melanie and her team :)

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:10 pm
Trouble is as soon as they work out that the 01, 02, or 03 number is on their site they change the routing for those 0870 numbers and turn the old geographical numbers off.

Sky do it all the time.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:38 pm
I have to say that I haven't come across this. All the geographical numbers I have rung have never changed. Not had to ring Sky though so I can't comment on that.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:06 pm
Virgin have changed their geographic numbers as far as I know - when I tried ringing them I got an unobtainable tone.

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:23 pm
I think it is a disgrace to charge for getting in touch with them. There should be free~phone numbers, even if only for customers of theirs. I had to contact Virgin when we 1st got connected a few times as the b/band wasn't working. As it was a premium number, I requested that, as it was the fault, they reimburse me for the calls, which they did. I think if they have the cheek to charge, we should have the cheek to ask for reimbursement....
xx
Last edited by chris.g on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's nice to be back......

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:46 pm
Yep, got to love Virgin's 0906 support line, which cost a fortune from a mobile if your VOIP telephone line is down as well. What's more they will only reimburse the cost of the calls using their tariffs even though it is their fault the internet is down.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.
12 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for april”