2011-2017. Finally

6 posts Page 1 of 1

Possible yes

Post by Possible yes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:16 pm
Hi, First post but wanted to give some encouragement to others who are on the journey to recovery

Started looking for a huge consolidation loan as had four credit cards maxed to 30k early 2011 and was being rejected by all so thought I should look into why and ended up on Experian of all sites looking at my credit score that was horrible and one link took me to Harrington Brooks debt management site so after a deep breath made the call and everything started to happen.

Change your bank, change your number, block unknown calls and any letters send them our way was told. Did everything asked within a week and then after a few months was offered a chance of a IVA. Sat back and waited for the call and Bingo, accepted and we started the journey. The first year was awfully hard and eventually it got better and better but that yearly financial review was always harder to accept as I was lucky to earn more each year and had no option but give 50% but not once where we left short for essentially all living costs just forget holiday season and the nicest of things. We had equity in the house so final year extended as no chance or a remortgage so we knuckled down.

Six long difficult years ensuring every bill was paid especially the utility and mortgage and we got through it. Throughout the period we managed to keep all the usual utilitiy companies on board, a debit card and mobile phone contracts going and paid car insurance monthly. We did not miss one payment and this is important for the last part

Finished May this year and now we have above average on Experian and not too bad on the other. Have a Vanquis card issued June 3rd with a 1k limit to help further improve the scores and today was offered a NatWest c/card with 10k limit that obviously will not be using.........honestly not be using. NatWest offered nothing apart from a std visa debit until it showed on my banking app last week so they knew something but obviously they check somehow and the flag has lifted.

Iva works if you follow the rules and have a open and honest relationship with your Iva company and you do come out the other side. Harrington brooks where absolutely outstanding in every department

Good luck to all and thank you for reading as hopefully gives the right messages others as I know how you possibly feel

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:43 pm
Great post .. and great to see you out the other side :-)

Life in an IVA is no bed of roses, but it is certainly doable, with support from your IP. A tough few years, but the future is now debt free. Well done.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 pm
Great to hear your story - well done!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:33 am
Lovely post, thank you for sharing.

Best of luck continuing a debt free future.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:39 am
Great post. We are almost two months post IVA and still living in limbo :(

Great to hear life does get back to normal, eventually :)

Seanj67

Post by Seanj67 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:44 pm
Good to read, well done. Nobody promises it will be easy when you start, but nor it trying to juggle debt. I used my IVA as a learning tool, and like you kept everything open and true...... I came out the other side a better person. Just waiting to come off the Insolvency Register now and I can then say I'm done :)
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “a success story”