40k debts, 36k pa salary - IVA?

75 posts Page 2 of 5

Anna

Post by Anna » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:18 pm
Looked at http://www.iva.co.uk/guide_iva_process.asp

All good, step by step but nothing there about when to open a new bank account, when to cancel Debts DD, when to tranfer/set up new bills (rent, gas etc) on the new account etc.

Could someone "in the know" look at this guiode and add the missing bits maybe please?

For someone like me - it leaves too many questions unnaswered... And it is weekend... :(

gimmewine

Post by gimmewine » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:10 pm
Looks like the sooner the better for a basic bank account

http://www.myiva-adviser.com/blog/2006/ ... s.php#more

Some quite decent info on the above site

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:18 pm
Hi,
I'm at the start of the IVA process, i know i cn't meet all my creditors DD payments so i've cancelled the lot as advised by Grant Thornton. As each payment becomes due I'm sending a cheque for a token amount with a letter saying I'm in fiancial difficulties. As for transfering DDs for bills etc most utility bills, insurance mobiles etc can be done over the phone with relative ease, mobile company managed to switch DD to new bank account a few days before it was due.
As for cancelling DDs on existing account I've found as long as the DD isn't in the forward posted stage it can be cancelled, I've managed to cancel 2 days before one was due to go out. Helps if you have internet banking with full facilities though.
Nationwide also do a flex account which as a Visa Debit card, they will also accept Bankcrupts so you should have no problems provided you have no debt with them, also online banking.

Anna

Post by Anna » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:30 pm
Gimmewine - thanks for the link, will have a look in a minute.

Louiseh - thanks for the info. I do not have IS yet so a bit wary to cancel DD now.

God, I wish it was not Sunday and I could call someone right now to start the ball rolling....

Not sure how quickly the new account can be opened with me having the datils for the Payroll to be able to put this monthg's salary in the new account....

You mention sending cheques for token amounts - I have read about "no chequebook" rule for opening an account while in the process of setting up IVA?

Thanks a lot

A

Anna

Post by Anna » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:43 pm
Just tried Nationwide online application - came back withg "we can offer you cashcard" - cancelled the application.

Cashcard is simply not a solution for me. Need Electron at minimum.

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anna

Post by Anna » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:56 pm
Ok, with a bit of digging within the links, here is a document with Basci Accounts listed including facilities they offer:

http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/pd ... counts.pdf

Anna

Post by Anna » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:26 pm
Just applied over the phone to Co-Op Cashminder(Electron and online banking), have to call them back Wed to see if accepted.

May be able to make it before next salary is due to be paid in.....

Keep your fingers crossed for me pls.

Updated blog, going for a walk now...

jonesy

Post by jonesy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:59 pm
hi anna

try the co-operative bank unless thats one of your creditors was easy to set up

try not to stress i am in the same boat as you
i am about to cancel direct debits tomorrow

jonesy
jonesy

jonesy

Post by jonesy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:05 pm
hi louise or anyone

i am just about to start the process of looking to enter into an IVA with grant thornton. how did you find them? Do they have a no win no fee IVA charge.

At the moment there figure to pay back each month is £615 i need to get this down to £450 / £500 can you or anyone recommend how i do this?

jonesy
jonesy

Anna

Post by Anna » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 pm
Jonesy - already applied to Co Op for their Cashminder account, see my post above.

Will not be cancelling anything till I speak to one of the Expert on here. Was hoping Melanie may pop in and see my thread but obviously can not expect her to offer her time to us on the Forum on the weekend.

Will try to see the Forum from work tomorrow but got a very busy schedule all week so may not be able too.

Lunchtimes are taken by running like a headless chicken back home and back to work. My dog needs to go out for a while....

So just evenings left and then most places are closed by the :(

Anna

Post by Anna » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:03 pm
Up to the top so the Experts do not miss my thread :(

And the original post with details, before the thread was hijacked a bit ;)

http://anna.blogs.iva.co.uk/

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:37 pm
hi all i note from your posts you are all stressing alot, no body can guarentee if an IVA will be accepted it all depends on the day how the creditors vote, you need to offer your realistic disposable income as 5 years is a long haul, what usually happens when you contact a IP is they tell you to stop paying your creditors straight away and open up a basic bank account with someone who is not one of your creditors or a subsiduary of one of your creditors, i walked into lloyds tsb one saturday morning and opened up a basic bank account with a visa debit card no frills just a cheque book and debit card by monday morning i had switched all my direct debits, in regards to payroll depending if it is by bacs that you are paid, you will need to find out when they ring the figures through to the bank on this day is when they change your bank account details also so if you get paid at the end of the month you may still have time to do this, if not wait until your wages have gone in and then withdraw them and put them into your new account, if you have any childrens accounts that are in your name and they are not the sole signatury you will have to empty these also if your bank is one of your creditors as they will take their money if your name is on that account.
however way you look at it if you cannot meet the payments anyway there is nothing you can do about that and once you have started on the iva route all phonecalls and letters will start immediatly from your creditors, if in the mean time you can make token payments to all creditors then that is up to you, write them a letter with the accompanying cheque explaining you are having difficulties and are seeking professional help!
in regards to the money being sent to your mum abroad anna i donot know where you stand on this one, it will be queried i am sure.
melanie often pops on the boards at the weekend and i am sure she will answer your technical problems as soon as she can, the way to look at is you have taken your heads out of the sand and realise you have to now face up to your debts.
do not use further credit as this is only deepening your debt, remember an iva is a long haul and the creditors are looking for the best dividend they can get but you must and i stress must be realistic with your income and expenditure as if you squeeze yourselves to the limit the iva will fail as a few on here already have, make sure you feel positive with who ever you use and steer clear of the companies asking for up front fees who do not give a guarentee what will happen to this money should the iva not be accepted.
i wish you all luck and keep posting so we know how you are getting on, i am not a technical expert but i am deeply in debt my self and have been where you all are now, my iva was rejected and i am soon to be petitioning for BR which will result in the loss of my home and possibly car, so please i do empathise with you all and know where you are all coming from, i no it is easy for me to say but try not to stress too much
kerri

Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/

neverending

Post by neverending » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:44 pm
Anna
I will try and answer your questions although,unlike Melanie, I am not an IP but just a guy that has been through the whole IVA process from start to finish.
Firstly,you need to make sure that you are actually insolvent.So add up all your living expenses[rent,food,travel,insurance,utilities etc,etc and minimum payments on unsecured debt],take these from your total income and if you are in a negative position then an IVA may be the route for you.
To answer you specific questions
1]On the figures that you provide an IVA is possible,you have debts of approx 36k,and if your disposible income is about £500 per month then you would be able to return a dividend of approx 70p in the £1.
2]An IVA can be over any period but five years is the norm.If you were accepted over only 3 years then you would return only 35p dividend[why would your creditors accept this if you could return 70p over 5 years ?]
3]yes,if you are insolvent
4]I think that these will be seperate debts,but further advice will be needed.Regardless of this your creditors will judge your IVA on its merits and will want the best return regardless of the percentage of your total debt.They will not vote against it just to"gang"up on you.
5]Look at the many pots regarding bank accounts on this site.Many offer a debit card,you DO NOT want an overdraft as this is not allowed whilst in an IVA.You will need to open one prior to your IVA and choose a bank that are not one of your creditors.
6] Your IP will advise you when to stop paying all your creditors and this is usually once you have had your initial meeting and they have agreed to take on your case.
7] Yes I think that they can take this so best to move it.
8] I think that this will be a problem as your creditors will rather this money go towards your debts.Do not include this amount when working out your income and expenditure regarding the fact of wether you are insolvent or not.
Finally when applying for a new bank account you do not have to tell them that you are applying for an IVA,you simply want a basic account.
I
I hope this helps.
Regards
Andy Davie

Anna

Post by Anna » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:02 pm
Thanks Scaredkez and Neverending....

Should one go with a compnay that is local to where he/she lives or it does not matter?

http://anna.blogs.iva.co.uk/

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:09 pm
i don't think it matters mine was in london and i am near liverpool, just make sure you feel comfortable with them and they answer all your questions, contact a couple first and see what their different opinions are and then go from there.
good luck
kerri

75 posts Page 2 of 5
Return to “hot hot hot topics in 2007 ! more than 60 replies”