5 years done, 1 to go

22 posts Page 2 of 2

Pandy

Post by Pandy » Mon May 05, 2014 2:21 pm
I am lucky that we rent so no worry with equity release or anything like that, just the straight 60 months for us, we haven't even needed a payment break although it has come close a few times,
If life is what you make it, I must have been in a strange mood when I made mine

trixie

Post by trixie » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:41 pm
oh it's very exciting seeing all the people who are in their last year too, like we're doing this together :-) Peejayel, Country Girl, Struzzo - you know exactly what I am going through. Yes, one more summer, one more Christmas. Still in limbo, can't quite believe it, but nearly there.
Good luck to you all.

country girl

Post by country girl » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:31 pm
Good Luck to you to Trixie, hopefully 2015 will be a good year for all of us.

Struzzo39

Post by Struzzo39 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:00 pm
Here Here :)
Steven & Debbie

LB22

Post by LB22 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:33 pm
Hi

I’m just about to enter into an IVA and am wanting to understand why people are saying they cannot wait for it to be over as they feel like there life has been put on hold.

Can you explain please as going from having to pay a huge amount each month to a really affordable amount can only be a relief?

I’m also worried about people saying they don’t have enough money for their food shopping as what they budgeted for wasn’t enough. Is your money not your own to spend freely then on a monthly basis after your IVA payment?

Sorry I’m so confused right now!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:50 pm
It all depends on your mindset going in as well as how helpful your IP is and how realistic the budgets set at the outset are. Basically you will have agreed amounts you are allowed to spend on everyday essentials and the rest will go to your IVA payment. Yes, for many, they will actually have more in their bank accounts than they did before, but only after learing to budget and stick to agreed limits. No more safety net of a credit card. It IS an adjustment.

Then you do have to get used to having your spending monitored to some extent and being checked up on at least anually, as well as having to part with extra income into the IVA.

Some enter an IVA to pay as little back to their creditors as possible --- these, generally, are unhappy and object to paying anything over the basic IVA monthly payment. They also tend to regard the IP as 'the enemy' (Indeed, some IP's do tend to act as such as well !).

Those that enter with the intention to pay back as much as they can afford tend to be happier and work with the IP, rather than against them.

Finally, there is thge perception of time 'wasted' --- looking ahead 5 or 7 years seems a long time. But, looking back, it actually passes quite quickly. The Charlie Hebdo offices in Paris were attacked in 2015 -- 5 years ago .. doesn't seem that long ago. Jeremy Clarkson left Top Gear as well and Brexit was first promised by Cameron (OK -- that one might be a bad example!) .
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:53 am
We approached our iva as if it was a five year loan. We broke it down in percentages - 20% per year; I had a tick list on the fridge from 60 down to 1 so each month we ticked the payments going and saw it going down.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
22 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “how are you coping?”