A Bad Day /The Insolvency Register

8 posts Page 1 of 1

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:48 am
I just got in from work and had a read through yesterdays posts. My word - it was a really "downbeat" day on the forum!!! But I guess that is bound to be the case sometimes!!

What I was going to raise was the Insolvency Register. It certainly is a shock when you click on your name and up comes your address and date of birth etc!!! I tried it for the first time the other day.

I dont think that anyone could argue with the existence of the Register. What I dont understand is why it is necessary to print everyones full current address for all and sundry to see. Would name and date of birth not be enough? Then anyone with a legitimate requirement could maybe be asked to submit a formal written request to ask for the address explaining why they need it? As it is - giving a full name address and status (IVA / Bankruptcy) surely just encourages correspondence from companies who may be seeking to exploit people or give them dubious advice.

Is there an element of "name and shame" to the register - is it designed to make people feel guilty for their predicament? Or is there a reason why a persons full details are made available so freely? I certainly have had letters from companies offering this and that "solution" or "offer" and can only assume that they got my details from the register.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on - or experience of - the Register?
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

mgf

Post by mgf » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:17 am
hi,

I too received letters from company telling me that I am in the Insolvency list. I have asked Expert regarding this options;
please refer to

http://www.iva.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?wh ... IC_ID=4910

But looking it myself? nah.. :)

regards,

Maria

pixie

Post by pixie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:37 am
Hi

One of the first things I did after my iva was to check the register!! I just wanted reassurance that it really had been approved!
I had my first letter yesterday from a company regarding the iva and can only assume they got my details from the website. After months of letters from creditors is it now five years of ambulance chasers [V]
The shredding machine will be kept busy anyway!

Pixie
Pixie
'Welcome to where ever you are, this is your life you've made it this far, welcome, you've got to believe right here right now is exactly where you're meant to be'
IVA started may 07 ended dec 08

lily

Post by lily » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:02 am
Hi everyone

I dont think the register should be public either, mind you I would never have known about it if I hadnt got into debt. I would have thought that the name in the paper thing relating to BR is enough. An IVA does not have to be declared.

I wanted to add that it seems its not just the insolvency register that causes letters and emails. I am not on the register (yet) but have had letters, phone calls and emails about sorting out my finances. One email I had yesterday was a pre pay day loan, it promised an electronic payment within 24 hours if I provided my pay date and bank details, obviously a scam but I never had things like this before.

Maybe they can check our credit rating?

lily
lily

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:28 pm
We are the same! Its as if somehow people KNOW that we are about to do (bankrutpcy) We have had letters from companies who say they can help us avoid it, letters from companies who say they will pay off our arrears and enable us to keep our house! Husband even had a TEXT message offering a VERY high interest loan,

where do they get their info????

sonyse2t5

Post by sonyse2t5 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:33 pm
No one in general knows about the register, I certain didn't know before I got an IVA. Names in it will be there for 6 years.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:58 pm
Hi
They are actually removed as soon as your IVA has been concluded or you are discharged from bankruptcy.So it can often be earlier than five years.
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:26 pm
My personal view is that the Register should be publicly available - it always has been - but not accessible via the internet. At present there is no provision for applying to not have the IVA made public on grounds of threat of violence under domestic separation, for instance, and as a practitioner I was most suprised when this was launched a year or so ago.

Lily has it spot on - it shoudld be there for people to search on an exceptional basis and not as freely as it is currently.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for august”