A load of questions

18 posts Page 1 of 2

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:30 pm
Going BR in a couple of weeks and unsure of several things.
My other half has decided to use his considerable linguistic skills and start trying to get work as a freelance interpreter. He will need his car to get around, although it is not expensive we want to make sure that he is properly registered!
Should we fill in the IR notice of self employment yet? If so when should we send it? Will this have an impact on our benefits (jobseekers allowance, child tax credit, child benefit, housing and council tax benefit)
He will probably earn very little for the first 6 months or so and we are worried that we will not manage without any cash.
I am looking for a part time job before we go BR so that I can keep my car and use it for ferrying the Kid's around as well.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:49 pm
You will need to declare him as being self employed WHEN he is self employed. Obviously, when he starts off on is self~employment he will need to notify the relavant benefit departments so that any benefits that will be affected are changed/stopped. I'm sure you have to notify the Inland Revenue when you become S/Employed also.
As the form are supposed to be an up-to-date statement when you file br, what employment status you put on the form will depend on his E/status when you file.
It's nice to be back......

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:12 pm
Hi,
We are not filing for BR. Although we have paid off over £100,000 in debts the IR are forcing us into BR. Should we register him before the hearing date then?

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:21 pm
Well, I'm not sure if it will make any difference. The only thing is the car, if he's not employed at the time of br, the OR may well take the car unless you can persuade them to let you keep it as he will need it to seek work.
Maybe Paul from Reviva might be the best one to answer your questions. You could possibly use the br forum to ask, you may get some help from there,http://www.bankruptcyhelp.org.uk/forum/ xx

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Hav spoken to the inland revenue today. We are registering him as self employed on Thursday and will have to change all the benefit details on Thursday as well.
I am hoping that he will be able to keep his car as he will need it for interpreting. (It's always a good idea if the interpreter is in the same room as the people who don't understand each other!!!)
As for how the OR will take it we will just have to wait and see. the car is only worth about £2,200 according to Parkers and it needs new brakepads and has got a dodgy clutch.
I however am desperately looking for a job and have several interviews lined up. I am very worried that if my car is taken I will not be able to go to them.
Never mind que sera and all that, at least my Kid's are healthy and I still fancy my Husband loads!!
Life could be worse.

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:20 pm
I shouldn't imagine the OR would take the car as now, as he's going to be employed, your hubby will need it for work. It's good things seem to be working out for you at the moment and good luck with the br.
xx

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:02 am
Thanks Chris.
I am still worrying that they will take his car anyway and then he will not be able to work.
He may need to travel considerable distances in order to work. Although it will take some time to build up his workload I hope that the OR will allow him to keep his car.
Would the car become a necessary item?

casiquebrado

Post by casiquebrado » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:06 am
Hi, what languages does your OH speak ?

If you google Robertsons languages , there maybe some work with them

Just a thought , hope it helps.
Casi

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:24 am
Definately would become a neccessary item, without it he wouldn't be able to work. I think the only way they will claim the car is if there is an established bus/public transport available from your home to the place of work. However, I'm assuming that your O/H's work will be mobile and that he will be on call for part of the employment, is this right? If this is right, it's obvious he will need the car for employment.
xx

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:25 am
Yes he will be working everywhere. And will probably be on call for the police, health service courts etc.
In answer to the other question, it is French, Italian, Spanish good German. Always handy on holiday!!!

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Thu May 01, 2008 3:18 pm
Done it today, Registered other half as self employed!. Tomorrow I transfer the tax credits over to Working tax credits in his name. Not sure if we will be better or worse off?
Ordered business cards for him (100 for a tenner - bargain!) and although we still have the Br to deal with we are beginning to feel better about our new start.
I hope the OR will allow him to keep his car, otherwise we are stuffed and back to square one.
Sent off the application form for the co-op account and still waiting for a response. Hoping to find myself a job in the next few weeks otherwise could have a sruggle to keep my car. It will still be needed for the school run.

I feel very anxious about the future, but somehow, now the decision has been made it is easier to look forward. Have spent over 4 years worrying about debt and juggling cards and payments. Is it a relief or just complete humiliation? I wonder.

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Thu May 01, 2008 3:22 pm
That's goode news. Pleased things are looking a bit brighter for you and your hubby, good luck with the bank app, that's who we went with. It is a relief when things start slotting into place, hope things go your way in the br,
xx

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Tue May 06, 2008 3:35 pm
Just heard from co-op they have given us the account but I haven't told them we are going BR next week. Do you think it will make any difference? Will they colde the account. Reluctant to put any money into the account in case it disappears!!

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Tue May 06, 2008 5:17 pm
Probably won't make a difference, they knew we were going br but I didn't notify them when we did. The OR will have to notify them though, our c/minder didn't flicker, didn't even get a letter from the co-op saying they were allowing the account after br.
xx

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Thu May 08, 2008 10:42 am
What about our landlord. We are not in arrears and our contract ends in July so we will probably have to move. It is too expensive for us! I am very anxious about finding somewhere new and my Mum has offered to help pay the difference between what we get in housing benefit and the rental costs. I have a great relationship with the landlord and am very worried that he may throw us out before we find somewhere else to live. He has offered to extend the ocntract for another year.
I am beginning to feel very depressed about all of this and wonder what on earth I have done to my Kid's who are unaware of everything!
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “meeting the OR”