a pretty sticky situation very lost and unsure

5 posts Page 1 of 1

dave.f

Post by dave.f » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:17 am
Hi Folks-
I have a pretty sticky situation and one that I would like some feedback on.

Last year, after being quite ill and suffering some depression.
I moved to australia to try and get well, leaving debt behind.

That consisted of - Loan (Nationwide)

- Credit Cards (x2 Egg)

- Phone Service (Voda/Orange)

- Maybe a few direct debits here or there.

It's something that im very ashamed about and wished at the time I felt I had options over.

It has been since august that I left and I'm now considering coming back to the UK to face up-to my Debts and perhaps file for bankruptcy.

I haven't kept in contact with any of my debtors or let them know what my situation is.
As far as I know they kept sending mail to my last address.

I know I was stupid and wonder what will become of myself.

The total of the debt was around 13k.

I'm very lost and unsure which way to turn..

dave.f

Post by dave.f » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:23 am
some extra info -
I made a couple of purchases on the ccard before I left and worry they will see if fit to put me on a BRU/BRO??

Ahh feel pretty sick with it to be fair, I just would like the chance to put my side of things across in terms of my illness as well..

My situation sort of went along this line..

Was working and just able to pay bills and keep head above water.
Then a health problem caused me to take more n more time off work, and in the end had to stop work from lack of sleeping and stress. Doc in the end was prescribing Temazepam for me, I wasn't functioning as a normal person and just needed to get out of england and get healthy.

Ill be coming back to nothing and staying with a friend.
No assets etc? - augh its a mess..

We wait and see what the board says eh?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:29 am
Hi Dave

Sorry to hear about your circumstances, I hope that you will feel better when you do return to the UK.

In the great big scheme of personal insolvency, your debts are actually fairly small. I know it does not feel like that to you at the moment, but I always feel sad for someone declaring themselves bankrupt for such a small amount.

What do you think your earning ability is when you return? Is there a possibility that you will be well enough to find work? If so, I suggest you put matters on hold for say 6 months - especially as your creditors are not chasing you. You might find that you are able to start repaying the debts in time, and having a bankruptcy order made against you may well hinder your efforts to find suitable employment.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

dave.f

Post by dave.f » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:37 am
Hi Melanie - thanks for your reply!
Ive since done some ringing round to my last rental address.
And they are indeed chasing me, letters written in the extreme!!
Once i'm back I intend to obviously ring and tally up what is owed.
I guess the other thing, after being away is im unsure if I really want to make a go of life in england anymore.

I have now got both passport for australia and Uk and am really considering moving for good.

You are right tho - the amount to me seems horrible and I hate the fact i've put myself in such a stupid situation.

In terms of work/income outlook im not 100% - Up until a while back I was being told that my illness would warrant having my spleen removed and of course the time involved in healing from that..
Its all very up in the air, and tests have been positive since..
So its a big grey area currently!

Cheers for advice
Dave

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:54 pm
Dave

You need to prioritise what is important here in terms of :-

1 Health
2 Happiness
3 Employment
4 Debt

That may not be the correct order for you, but it should not be far off. If you have made a life for yourself in Australia why not give that a further period before you make any drastic decisions. The debts will not go away, but the creditors are not in a position to do anything too nasty to you - and if worse case they make you bankrupt well that saves you the Court fee. If you do find work in the meantime, when your health has improved, then you can always start making payments again.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for april”