A question for everyone with an IVA

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
18 posts Page 1 of 2

doublemummy

Post by doublemummy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:13 pm
evening everyone,
I am making my final decisions as to which way to go and how to progress forward.
My question is to everyone who is currently within an IVA... what are the differences between going with a private company or a charity to represent you?

Many thanks

Katie

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:19 pm
Hi,

There are no.charity companies in an Iva. All companies charge you fees including Payplan and CCCS which I tbink is what you are talking about
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

doublemummy

Post by doublemummy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:28 pm
Ok thank you - yes thats what I was getting at really. I feel so clueless

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:36 pm
The main difference is that Payplan and CCCS get a fair chunk of their funding from the banks, other than that it is down to personal choice and your knowledge of the experience of others. Cruising around the forum should give you an idea of the latter and a visit to www.iva.co.uk will point you in the direction of a few firms to chat to, see who you feel most comfortable with and allow you to compare advice.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

12 months to go

Post by 12 months to go » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:01 pm
hi doublemummy

im with DFD and have always found them to be superb; im 5.5yrs into 6 yrs agmnt

Also, Melanie Giles who posts on here morning , noon , night & early morning !! comes very well recommended from her clients posting on here

hope this helps
Last payment made April 2012
Certificate received 1st Nov 2012

vince666

Post by vince666 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 pm
My advice would be go for a smaller firm where you have a chance of actually speaking directly with your Supervisor and receiving a personal service - there's a few firms represented on this forum that fit the bill. If you read some of the recent posts you should be able to work out which firms they are.
Completion certificate received 31 March 2012.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 pm
I tried to post several times after my first post but my phone was playing silly b's!!!

Speak to several companies before making a decision and go with your gut instinct as to which you feel happiest with.

It is very bewildering when you start out. Don't worry about bombarding a prospective IP with questions, they are used to it and you need to get everything right from the beginning.

The forum is also here for anything you want to ask.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

doublemummy

Post by doublemummy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:12 pm
Thanks for your replies everyone. Going with gut instinct and think i have made my decision. Eeek scary times ahead, but hopefully better times ahead long term

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 pm
That's great news. It's such a feeling of relief to have that support.

artemischild

Post by artemischild » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:10 am
I see its quite plainly

1) use a firm who gains money from your creditors - they don’t work for you so therefore don’t have your best interests at heart, you are NOT the customer the creditors are. (this seems to have been raised recently in regards to DMP’s where the longer your made to pay the more companies get in return from the creditors you owe)

2)Use a 'fee paying service' and you are the client, they work on your behalf however still have a duty to maximise your return to your creditors, however you are their client and should also be working in your interest.

What I am unsure of is are fees worked out on an ongoing basis as in a % of your monthly your or are they set for the year/5 years so you pay a set and agreed amount?

Arty
IVA completion and certificate received 08/10/2012!!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:16 am
All IVA companies charge fees for an IVA. There's only Payplan and CCCS that don't charge for a DMP.

I think my fees are a set amount and it was written down in my proposal as to what they would be year on year.
Bob Marley.

Rosepetal

Post by Rosepetal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:22 am
hi, it is daunting,well done for facing that you need help. take your time,read up.

take care who you go with. we decided on Melanie Giles, McCambridge also have v good feedback.

have you got a new bank account set ready away from creditors? it must be a "basic" account.

post ?'s,you're not alone.
Nothing stays the same...everything changes..hang on in there!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:35 am
RP - it doesn't have to be a basic account. If you can get a full account prior to the IVA then do so.

I have a basic Nationwide account but I also still have a full Barclays account. Barclaycard were a creditor but the account has remained open and I always make sure there is some money in there so I can use it again properly once the IVA is completed.

The only thing you shouldn't have is an overdraft.
Bob Marley.

Rosepetal

Post by Rosepetal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:45 am
hi kall, what do you mean by "full"? we were told it had to be a basic bank account ie no overdraft etc.
Nothing stays the same...everything changes..hang on in there!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:51 am
No overdraft but I mean a 'normal' account with a debit card and cheque book.
Bob Marley.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”