A silly question, but I need help!

26 posts Page 2 of 2

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:42 pm
Thanks everyone, I'm going to complete the application form at the weekend and cross my fingers!

FD, I've never been called intellectual before - just wait until I tell Dave!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:52 pm
[:D][:D][:D]
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:00 pm
I told Dave that I'd been called an intellectual and he burst out laughing and said whoever said it doesn't know me - cheek!

You're right, I've got nothing to lose by applying, it might turn out to be the job from hell, but if I don't try I won't know. I'll let you know how I get on.

flumpy dog

Post by flumpy dog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:47 pm
you tell your dave he doesnt know how lucky he is to have you x
maybe you can get harry to give dave a swipe with his tail ! [:D]
GOOD LUCK OK
YOU CAN DO IT ! X

tori

Post by tori » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:30 pm
Good luck with the job application Skip!...I hope everything works out for you. And don't worry about the minute taking. I often have to do it at Team Meetings, and if I can do it anyone can [:D] xx..
please visit my blog http://tori.blogs.iva.co.uk/ a second chance..

trina

Post by trina » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:59 pm
like the others say I would apply for the job, my job involves taking minutes, I had never done it before and basically still cant!! I take minutes in text form it really is easy as long as u can understand your own writing[:D]

Trina x

angelc

Post by angelc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:31 pm
Hi Skip

I worked as a temp for a few months at a local authority. Minute taking was essential. I told them I had never done it but was willing to give it a try so they let me sit in on a meeting with another minute taker the first time, just to see what it was like.

We both took notes and wrote up the minutes then compared them. Mine were nothing like hers (way too much detail) but it didn't take me long to get the hang of it.

Most people tend to go for bullet points now unless it's a tribunal where you have to take everything down. These can go on for hours and your hand aches.

None of the girls I worked with did shorthand and they had all been doing it for years.

It helps if you read the minutes from previous meetings before you go in so you get a feel for what is required and a background of the subject. Also take a copy in with you so if someone refers to a previous item you can just make a note of the item no instead of writing it all out.

Have a piece of paper in front of you to do a seating plan. As people sit down, write their name and initials on the plan so it's easy to refer to when noting down who said what.

Don't be afraid to ask people to repeat things if you miss something and write down what you hear even if you don't know what it means. You might get it completely wrong but if you write down what it sounds like someone will be able to help out later.

Go for it. Good luck.
"It's better to be in control on a small budget than to be out of control on a large budget."

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:16 pm
I've only just caught up with this post and thanks everyone for your help and advice.

I've submitted my application yesterday, so fingers crossed! I spent nearly all day Sunday doing the application, so I hope I at least get an interview!

I've never worked in housing, so that could also go against me, although it didn't ask for previous experience, but if you don't try you don't know!
Last edited by Skippy on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ivas4us

Post by ivas4us » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:23 pm
What is the job actually skippy. I work in housing and will offer advice if I can.
IVA.co.uk The best place for debt advice. Thanks to Melanie Giles, David Mond, David and J (Elv5) Kallis, Dand, Skippy, Andy Davie

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:25 pm
Thanks Paul - if I get an interview I'll be picking your brains! It's only an admin role, so I'm hoping my lack of experience won't go against me. They wanted someone with an admin and customer service background which I have (I've done all sorts!) and although I'm not seriously looking it caught my eye.

ivas4us

Post by ivas4us » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 pm
Housing can be very interesting. Some days it is just so busy the time flies by. Some times every thing goes wrong, but it can also be very rewarding. I currently work in the lettings team and my role until very recently was to carry out surveys to all the properties when they became empty and arrange any repairs that were required. I have recently had my role changed through re-structure and I now carry out surveys to properties during the four week notice period and advice tenants of any breaches of thier tenancy agreements. It is a very interesting role and gives me a close working relationship with all aspects of housing.
IVA.co.uk The best place for debt advice. Thanks to Melanie Giles, David Mond, David and J (Elv5) Kallis, Dand, Skippy, Andy Davie
26 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “friends corner”