A Tough Month

17 posts Page 1 of 2

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:46 pm
I am rapidly approaching the first anniversary of my IVA Acceptance.

Today I went out for a Christmas lunch with friends at a small Spanish restaurant in Central London. We had "Tapas" - I had three small plates and a (large!!) glass of red wine and a dessert. My lunch bill was just over £20.

Today being in an IVA really came home to me. I was carefully calculating the cost of my meal as I ordered as my friends just ordered what they wanted without really worrying about the bill. I have told noone about my IVA and it was hard when they stayed on for a few more drinks and I had to leave. As they say in the Sunday papers - I made my excuses and left!!!! The money I spent on that lunch was basically all I had left from my "contingency" fund for the month as I have already spent the remainder on small Christmas gifts.

But at the end of the day I am determined to see this IVA through. Tough days like today are good experience and it just impresses on me what an idiot I was to get in such a mess. And I am b***** determined to make those 60 payments!!! But never let anyone tell you that an IVA is easy!!!!
47 months completed - 13 months to go.

kah

Post by kah » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:53 am
With you on this one. Last year I faked an illness for one Christmas do - it was going to be a shared bill and there's no way I could risk it. Happy Christmas to all on the list who celebrate the season! (trying to be pc)

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:18 am
But just think, it will be a lesson learnt, and after the 60 months, you will be debt free, and all your money will be yours to go and spend how you want to. That is what will keep me going throughout the five years x

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:45 am
Actually - I wish I had done that kah. I would rather have missed the "do" than to spend the whole time worrying about the pounds and pence!!! Still - like debbiew says - it WAS another lesson learnt and is really nothing in the overall scheme of things.

Dont get me wrong - the IVA was a brilliant solution for me and there is no way I would ever drop out of it now. I think the first year must be the toughest - but it gives you a good idea of what to expect (and avoid!!!) in the years to come.

Best Wishes for a fun but frugal Christmas to come for all those in IVAS - and Good Luck to all those with Creditors Meetings this month (and in Janauary of course). Hopefully the voters will be full of Christmas and New Year goodwill and spirit.

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:53 am
It's my work Christmas do tonight - luckily the boss is paying for the meal and a few drinks afterwards. I put myself £20 aside at the start of the month for tonight, and that's what I'm sticking to. That will enable me to have a good night out, hopefully without worrying about things for one night.

And, I think they say that if you don't go out drinking alcohol on a regular basis, it takes effect quicker anyway, so it will be a cheap night out!!! [:)]
Chris
Visit my blog at http://cr15py.blogs.iva.co.uk
16 down, 44 to go!!

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:54 am
Have a fantastic night Cr15py! Drink through a straw, that's an old trick to get drunk quicker!

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:58 am
Thanks debbi, I'm sure I would look very perculiar drinking wine and pints of lager through a straw. All very manly!!! lol x
Chris
16 down, 44 to go!!

OPTIMIST12

Post by OPTIMIST12 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:59 am
Yes - have a great night.

I think I'll give the straw suggestion a go next time!!!!

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:08 am
Or do as my dad does, and take a hip-flask out full of whisky and when he goes out for a smoke of his pipe, he has a swig of that! He is barely coherent by the end of the night! [:p]
Chris
16 down, 44 to go!!

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:17 am
LOL Cr15py, Don't like Whisky, but i might try it with Malibu. Just make sure you don't drink too much tonight, and end up dancing like your dad!!

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:20 am
Thanks debbi, I'll bear that in mind!! x
Chris
16 down, 44 to go!!

wen

Post by wen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:21 pm
I've had a lunch meet with friends, and similar to Optimist had to be careful what I ordered! At the end of the day, they probably had no idea what was going through your head, and likewise they may well have been sitting there thinking "Oh to heck with this, i'll deal with hubby/wifey moaning about this bill when the credit card bill comes in. We'll only have to pay 5% off anyway" [:D]

Having been out a few times with friends recently and trying to conserve money may I also recommend the "2007 Vintage Tap Water" as a suitable drink. I just say i'm trying to detox my body by drinking as much water as possible before so i don't have to do as much in January [:D]
Please visit my blog http://adam.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:36 pm
We've been trying to save a little bit of the housekeeping budget over the last couple of months so that we could go out a few times over Christmas and so far we're not doing too badly and it's meant we could go out a couple of times with friends.

When we go out I usually volunteer to drive (I don't drink very often) on condition that I don't pay for anyone else's drinks - no-one seems to mind and it keeps the cost down, especially when people are ordering bottles of wine etc!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:00 am
Well, Friday was a good night, and thanks to the boss buying the drinks all night, it only cost me £5 for the whole night [:)]
Chris
16 down, 44 to go!!

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:12 am
I'm glad you had a good night Cr15py. Even better that your boss bought the drinks all night - Result!
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “new postings for December”