Advice about aggressive creditors

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
9 posts Page 1 of 1

GD.23

Post by GD.23 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:01 am
My IVA creditor meeting was 22nd Oct 2013 - it was approved. Barclaycard was one of the creditors. They seem to have an aggressive debt recovery unit called Mercer. Even though Barclaycard voted for the IVA I keep getting phone calls from Mercer. The worst has been this morning - 2 early phone calls in one hour saying they have still not received any payment - yet Barclaycard voted for the IVA.

Any suggestions how to deal with an aggressive debt collector who is still phoning regularly after the principal voted for the IVA? I thought that such calls should stop after the IVA is in place.

Kelly O

Post by Kelly O » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 am
If you are still receiving calls of this nature you should inform your IVA company who should deal with this on your behalf.
Regards Kelly Osadare Debt Advice Manager at www.pjgrecovery.com (host to www.melaniegiles.com.)

PJG Recovery have a free online advice channel at www.debtadvicetv.com. If you are ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.pjgrecovery.com/contact-us.asp . I look forward to speaking to you.

TheArtist

Post by TheArtist » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:37 am
GD, you could do as Kelly suggests, but your IP may not see the urgency to tell them of your IVA as you do.

You are correct in that these pest calls should stop and should have in the 10 weeks since your creditor meeting.

As you are now 'covered' by your IVA, should you receive anymore calls - Just let them say their piece - Then you can just respond, firmly, that your IVA has been approved on the 22/10/13, by (your IVA company) and your client reference number and that you are protected against these calls within your IVA protocol. Then thank you very much and place the phone down.

Try not to get into any dialogue with them as they will continue to be more and more aggressive. Certainly do not pay them any additional monies. The calls should soon end.

Best of luck.
Completed IVA - August 2012 pheeeeeeeeeew
Only my opinion - Nothing More Nothing Less

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:48 am
Refuse to acknowledge who you are when they phone, don't answer any security questions, make it as difficult as possible for them. Telling them your IVA date and company normally has no impact on them stopping the calls, you being a pain to talk to gets them frustrated, which is what it should be as after all they called you.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

GD.23

Post by GD.23 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:03 pm
Thank you for all your observations. I lodged formal complaints. I have now had a response, an apology, and an assurance I will receive no more calls. I did offer my services as a consultant (that organizational field is one of my specialities) if they are not able to deal with it. I'll see if they take up my offer! I'm always happy to earn some more - then I can get my head round the 10/50/50 issues!

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:00 pm
Happy to read they've reassured you about the calls and hopefully they will stop.

Exactly the same happened to us and my husband got very angry at one point and only then did the calls stop. Fingers crossed they have for you and I agree it would be good to earn a bit extra.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

craigiewicked1

Post by craigiewicked1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:54 pm
we simply changed our phone number, worked a treat

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:11 am
Threaten to report them to the Financial Ombudsman if this continues. Two months is long enough for them to have updated their records.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:49 am
Barclays were our most difficult creditor but in the end they got the message when i continued to tell them i would contact the ombudsman, and the fact i wouldn't confirm my correct date of birth boy did they get annoyed !
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”