Advice needed

25 posts Page 2 of 2

steviek

Post by steviek » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:41 am
well i asked this question and there was no reason given, they simply said i could wait a few weeks and reapply. easy for them to say that, when i have phonecalls every day from the cc companies which are really getting me down.

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:44 am
Steviek, try not to let it get you down. Write a letter to all your creditors, explaining the situation, and then don't answer the telephone, or do like i did and change your number! Then they can only contact you by post, which is easier to deal with.

steviek

Post by steviek » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:50 am
thanks debbiw, will do that today.Is there a blueprint of the letter available anywhere on the web.

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:45 pm
I don't know if there is a blue print, i just wrote my own explaining my situation, and that i would like all correspondence to be by post. They may still try and contact you, but just change your phone number. If you write to them and keep them updated, then at least they can't think you are ignoring them

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:25 pm
Hi Steviek

I agree with debbiw about phone calls, you can write to all your creditors saying you will only communicate with them through written correspondance and say this if they call also. I tried to keep all my creditors updated but the phone calls were awful and really get you down - I changed my details with every creditor as soon as I Knew I was in trouble and gave them my home office fax number so they could not call me in the evenings at home. I had them all day on my mobile so wanted some peace in the evenings!!!

I hope you have sucess with your DMP, I don't think you could be in better hands than Brightoak as I have read some glowing praise about them on this forum.
Good Luck
Emma x
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

Andrew Graveson

Post by Andrew Graveson » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:44 pm
Ongoing phone-calls and letters seeking payment can be a terrible problem.

Whether an individual makes an IVA or DMP proposal it can take a long while before the internal collections processes at certain creditors co-ordinate to acknowledge that the debtor has started procedures to make their best offer.

Probably best to be fair on the creditors in this respect. They can be huge organisations with huge numbers of clients. The teams that analyse IVA or DMP proposals are generally not the same teams that work on debt collection.
Many of the letters and phone calls are generated by automated systems.

Experience suggests that this inconvenience subsides rapidly after a fair proposal has been put forward. We find that our clients report a vast reduction in creditor contact after about four weeks.

We suggest to our clients that they direct any contacts to us. Under the BBA code any debtor is entitled to third party representation and a sympathetic hearing. The vast majority of creditors abide by this once they have had chance to communicate internally.

There was an interesting point raised by Andy earlier in the post regarding how the IR might deal with an IVA/DMP. Today the IR proved themselves very reasonable by agreeing to collect a balance via a tax code rather than a DMP.

Andrew Graveson
Mortgage Broker & Bright Oak Debt Management
andrew@brightoak.co.uk
www.brightoak.co.uk
Andrew Graveson
Bright Oak Ltd
UK Debt Management Company

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:48 pm
That is interesting about the tax code method of collection Andrew, and worth bearing in mind for future cases with modest HMRC debts.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Andrew Graveson

Post by Andrew Graveson » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:55 pm
It was interesting for us and our client as well. We suggested it as a way forwards as it seemed the best solution provided that the IR would work with us.

They did (our client did the work - not us) and it constitutes a sensible way forwards for all. The other creditors will benefit from an increase in payments once the tax balance is cleared (within a year) and any DMP charges have been excluded from that part of the debt.

Andrew Graveson
Mortgage Broker & Bright Oak Debt Management
andrew@brightoak.co.uk
www.brightoak.co.uk
Andrew Graveson
Bright Oak Ltd
UK Debt Management Company

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:58 pm
An excellent and innovative idea, and well done for coming up with a different solution to solve the problem.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

steviek

Post by steviek » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:59 am
I found the IR to be very helpful, and i guess thats one hurdle out of the way.
25 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “the hot hot IVA topics in 2007, 20 replies plus”