Almost cracked today!

31 posts Page 1 of 3

Rod Newman

Post by Rod Newman » Thu May 26, 2011 6:50 pm
Having taken the decision to go down the IVA route, I cancelled the Direct Debits to all my creditors on the sound advice of the IVA Company. Less than 48 hours later ie today I have received no less than 4 calls from a single creditor demanding to know why, asking me why I couldn't make the minimum payments after all if I cancelled the DD what else could be the matter and to top it all demanding to know when I wouuld reinstate my payments. I also got an unsolicited call from a loan company offering to lend e a huge amount at an even huger interest rate over 5 years! I almost cracked then I remembered the forum. Is it un polite to say "Shove It" down the phone to a creditor? OOOpppps
Rod
Most day's you feel like the statue but just once in a while you get to be the pigeon!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:58 pm
Shove it is quite polite!!!

Ignore those calls and especially the unsolicted ones!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Judo

Post by Judo » Thu May 26, 2011 7:01 pm
Rod. When we cancelled our DD for our Egg CC we received no less than 5 phone calls the following day!! Some of them are quicker than poop off a shovel.
This bit will be hard, but stay strong, some of them will say whatever they need to in order to try and get you to cough up some cash.

'Shove it' sounds perfectly reasonable to me!! lol

nepensioner

Post by nepensioner » Thu May 26, 2011 7:07 pm
You're being very polite Rod!!! It will get a lot worse I'm afraid but the upside is that you have done something about your debt. Are you going to save what you might have paid this month into a contingency fund for later? It is a good idea also to get car serviced etc.
F & F Accepted 19th Oct 2010

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu May 26, 2011 7:21 pm
Be strong and remember YOU are in control, there is nothing they can do before the IVA is in place (and after that it's academic). The call centre operatives who make these calls are just out to improve their bonuses .... if you speak to a nice young lady from Mumbai tell her I miss her calls :-)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:23 pm
We cancelled all our direct debits (18 of them) with Barclays,took hubbys wages out(of the overdraft) and they didnt realise we had done anything until they tried to take the barclayloan payment out-21 days later!!!!!
DOH!!!!!
full and final accepted January 2015

iva agreed; August 2010
iva would have completed; August 2017
extra year thank's to NRAM

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:29 pm
they were the only creditor not included in our dmp as we banked with them and lived *in the overdraft*wages in - wages out.
By the time they realised we had gone for an iva the paperwork was on its way to them!!!!
full and final accepted January 2015

iva agreed; August 2010
iva would have completed; August 2017
extra year thank's to NRAM

Rod Newman

Post by Rod Newman » Thu May 26, 2011 7:43 pm
Thanks guys for the support. Lets just hope I can remain as polite as the days go by. Yes I intend to withdraw the funds as I was to have them available to pay my IP when the IVA is approved (assuming it is).
Rod
Most day's you feel like the statue but just once in a while you get to be the pigeon!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:04 pm
Personally, I wouldn't be polite! Once they know the proposal is going through then calls and letter should cease but, left hand never tells the right hand what is going on.

Once that meeting date is arranged then it doesn't matter who says what!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu May 26, 2011 9:37 pm
You are taking action regarding your debts so dont be afraid to tell creditors to shove it!!

Feel proud that you are taking steps to sort things out in the best way you can.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

sadone

Post by sadone » Thu May 26, 2011 10:18 pm
We told BT we were getting nuisance calls and they changed our phone number for free - it stopped the creditors phone calls!!

Rod Newman

Post by Rod Newman » Fri May 27, 2011 11:01 pm
I don't beleive it, today I get another two calls, one text and an e-mail from egg. I tried to respond to inform them of the situation and I was informed that I couldnt correspond as my accou nt was now in the hands of the colelctions department. Errrr The payments are up to date and next one not due for well over two weeks yet!
Rod

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri May 27, 2011 11:07 pm
The calls are very frustrating - the operators seem to have a script that doesn't comprehend "I am dealing with my debt via an IVA".

Ignore the calls if you can, eventually they will stop.

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Fri May 27, 2011 11:30 pm
I think this is the hard part Rod, they just want to get as much out of you as possible prior to the IVA. Dont let them get you down!

You can ignore the calls & if you do get caught out dont answer the security questions, they cant discuss anything without the security questions being passed. I used to get amnesia all the time!
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat May 28, 2011 5:18 am
I personally answered the calls and was polite but firm, they had a script and I had a script so I stuck to it, I knew my IP's name and contact details by heart I repeated them so many times.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
31 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “IVA postbag for april”