And so the chasing begins.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
21 posts Page 1 of 2

steppingstones

Post by steppingstones » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:55 pm
I managed to pay my creditors up to date until the beginning of January before I ran out of money so I am just beginning to miss payments now. I have had two calls at work already from MBNA, so they are quick off the mark. I have politely asked them to ring me at home as I cannot take personal calls at work but I doubt that will stop them.

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:59 pm
MBNA are normally fine and if the person you speak to does not agree to remove your work number ask to speak to a supervisor. Provided you then do not duck the calls from them in the evening or on your mobile it should be enough. Most creditors do just want to be kept informed although at the beginning a lot of the calls are computer dialled.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:46 pm
steppingstones, just be polite but consistant in what you tell them, if you can go online and change any numbers I would suggest you do this as this will prevent them having your work number and mobiles can be put on silent.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Cath

Post by Cath » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:49 pm
Unfortunately, I tried to change my work number on line with MBNA and it didn't work. However I did tell them I was unable to speak to them at work and they only contacted me on my mobile after that.

Good luck and stay strong.
7 year IVA completed in December 2016 - there is light at the end of that tunnel

steppingstones

Post by steppingstones » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:21 pm
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully they will call me at home from now on where I can tell them the situation. Unfortunately I work in an office full of gossips, so it is hard to have a private conversation, least of all about finances.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:28 pm
You could also tell a litte white lie and say that by receiving calls at work it could mean you losing your job and then you would have to go bankrupt. That has been known to work.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

steppingstones

Post by steppingstones » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:50 pm
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully they will call me at home from now on where I can tell them the situation. Unfortunately I work in an office full of gossips, so it is hard to have a private conversation, least of all about finances.

steppingstones

Post by steppingstones » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:56 pm
Not sure what I did there. Didn't mean to post that twice. Lol. It's probably because I am trying to type this on my phone as we have limited Internet access at work. I always try to sneak a look at the forums if I have a boring couple of minutes to fill.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:59 pm
Funnily enough it did exactly the same to me last week!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:52 pm
Hi Sally - it's horrible when the calls start - I can imagine there are a lot of people going through the same pain as you right now. (including having to type on a phone too!) I hope the creditors agree to talk to you at home so you can explain things to them and come to a suitable arrangement.
Regards,
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

andy9848

Post by andy9848 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:54 pm
Hi Sally
I remember the calls , i didnt find them that bad but at points they did seem relentless.
To be fair they stopped as soon as IVA was arranged and bar a couple of letters ref debts being sold onto max recovery I havent heard a thing.
The long term benefits of an iva far outweigh the hassle of the calls and whilst it appears to be a hard slog all the way through its certainly a lot better than the life i had before.
Now i have money to live and dont have the constant worry i used to have.
Im lucky one year left so lots to look forward to but still some way to go so im not getting carried away.
I used payplan who i have to say have been excellent however i would have probably used Melanie Giles if i had found this site before as the feedback is excellent.
Whilst I dont want to put you off there will be other situations during your ive which will stress and cause hassle just like the calls, such as boiler breakdowns / car repairs etc etc but i honestly beleive its nothing compared to the worry i had before.
Hope this is of some re-assurance

steppingstones

Post by steppingstones » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:29 pm
Thanks for those words of comfort Andy. I do feel a lot better now that I have bitten the bullet and got things started with the IVA. I am just waiting for my proposal papers to come through from Mel. In the mean time I am getting my background statement written up and all my credit card/ bank statements ready for her. I am normally rubbish at getting my paperwork organised but I am being so disciplined with this, I guess it is because I am so looking foward to turning over a new leaf with my finances.

soashamed70

Post by soashamed70 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:36 pm
Hi

I am being chased too, by demons!! And my "stuff" has been going on a while - don't worry, as the others say, just talk to them, that's what I have done (not necessarily when they call, but I do call them back) - most are ok, but Mercers are particularly nasty as have no shame in making you feel about an inch tall and the most irresponsible person in the world.

I'm toughening up a bit now, and like you, getting very organised!

Good lUck, I am sure things will turn out ok

johnnybriggs

Post by johnnybriggs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:57 pm
Its not a little white lie to object to being contacted at work.

Under s40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 its an offence to cause alarm, distress or humiliation (I'm paraphrasing) when collecting a debt.

I have years of debt collecting experience at the dirty end of the business and some of my branch managers would have encouraged me to use every trick to get a payment (or an attachment of earnings order). However - most of my area managers would have jumped on me from a great height.

You need to complain; if you have been unwelcomely contacted at work when there are other reasonable means to contact you. Keep it in writing if you prefer,
JB

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:23 pm
Hopefully we will not be too far off finalising your proposals Sally, and then you can hopefully put all this stress behind you.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
21 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”