Another Grant Thornton Problem Rears Its Ugly Head

Helping to resolve consumer disputes
31 posts Page 2 of 3

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:17 pm
I have found Claire to be very honest and fair with any correspondence and outcome I have had to query with GT. Not got to the end yet so haven't experienced the CC issues, which hopefully will be a distant irritation by then.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

Noodles

Post by Noodles » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:34 pm
Downhearted Lady

I am in the same position I actually received a letter back in August last year to say my creditors had agreed my F&F and that my IVA would be closed shortly after I paid nearly £500 shy of my full debt back. I am still in the "final stages" of the closure even after agreeing to the PPI/VAT amendment. Grant Thornton had yet another creditor meeting on the 24/05/13 and I have had to yet again chase them up for information. Oh and sorry to be a bringer of bad news but my IVA was supposed to be finished in Oct 2011 I am getting close to 2 years of stalling :(

Borneo

Post by Borneo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:20 pm
Sorry to hear about your situation but it sounds just like ours. We had a variation meeting accepted in June 2012 for the VAT issue. Closure was not to be delayed according to Tenon.
Case transferred to GT and another variation meeting went ahead in December 2012 for Full and Final. This was accepted and closure was to be in 6 months.

Now July 2013 and I have just put the phone down after speaking with a very pleasant lady at GT who has informed me that paperwork will be coming out this week
for yet another meeting... for...yes the VAT issue!

IVA started October 2006. 84months in September 2013 since first payment made. Last payment March 2012. Who
knows when this will end?
Katy

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 am
Have they given you any idea when you can expect to see your case closed realistically, Borneo?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Noodles

Post by Noodles » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:15 pm
That's exactly what happened to me I was told in August that everything was accepted and I should expect my C of C within 6 months.
So I waited until the end of January thinking I was maybe a couple of weeks away and phones customer services. They then told me they couldn't tell me how my closure was going and that I'd have to email the closures team. I did this and waited the required 10 working days....no response so I sent the same email again and waited 10 more working days again no response so again I sent the same email and 30 working days after the first email was sent they finally replied with

'I can confirm that your case is in the final stages of closure and we now need to ensure the correct compliant distribution of funds to your creditors. '

A week later I had the PPI company call me demanding that I agree to letting them claim any miss sold PPI and VAT otherwise my IVA wouldn't be closed. To me this sounds like bullying and blackmail I then called GT back to ask why I was being contacted by a PPI company as I was fully aware of PPI when I took out any loans and was never planning to pursue a claim and why my personal information was being given to other companies. I was basically told that and was sent a letter to state that if I didn't allow this company to claim back PPI I could be held in breach of the terms of my IVA.

My last payment was in Oct 2011 and I've still not recieved my CofC!

viperboyz

Post by viperboyz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:19 pm
If you think you wasnt Mis-sold PPi then you can ask for a Declaration of no claim which will remove the PPI hurdle but theres still the VAT brickwall to hurdle as well.
Time to end of IVA 0 days
Time to end of GT dealing with it...CC recieved after a battle royal !!

Samantha.jj

Post by Samantha.jj » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:10 pm
Gt will not accept a declaration that you will not claim. I was told last year that they would, and a form would be sent to me. It never arrived so I called again and was told again the form would be sent. Then a day or 2 later eic called me. I called gt who advised I must apply. As you I was not happy my details were handed over, oddly since eic were given my details my house phone which only close family have the number and my email have been bombarded with calls and messages about ppi, accident claims, setting up pensions and other financial industry related annoyances. I allowed eic to claim as I just wanted my cert and gt advised I would be in the first mass variation. I was and got my cert nearly 2 weeks ago. I was adamant I had no ppi but eic have found some on a Barclaycard in the late 90's, annoyingly barclays will only deal with me directly so what eic are doing to earn there ridiculous cut of the claim is nothing!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:36 pm
According to a couple of posters, they have started to accept them again. This was a couple of weeks ago -- and, as we know "things PPI" change daily !
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Noodles

Post by Noodles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 pm
An update from me I was in the mass variation agreement on 24th May I didn't hear anything from GT so as usual I phoned them to find out how the meeting went. Emailed on the 01/07/2013 got a reply back 09/07/2013.
"I am pleased to advise that your creditors have agreed to the terms of the Mass Variation Meeting allowing us to progress with the closure of your case. We now need to make a final distribution of funds to your creditors before we can complete the final administration on your case and issue your closure documents. I anticipate that your closure documents will be issued by the end of August at the latest, if we can close your case before this time we will endeavour to do so."

I had a letter come through today so I was excited thinking finally it's over but wait....

Annual income review (which was completely wrong to the degree it said I have no kids but claim child benefits!)

So I called as it does say they will assume the phantom amount of available income will be made available for my creditors. Guess what.

Just got off the phone with a lady called Ashley. "No you don't need to send us the income review" so I asked if I was still going to receive my CofC this month. "Sorry sir but we have run into so delays regarding the closure of your IVA" same old story and guess what now the date it end of Oct that will make it 8 years!!!

I give up I really do.

Pennyless

Post by Pennyless » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:12 pm
After some posts lately, that really doesn't seem too much of a surprise.

Good luck Noodles!
I came into this world with nothing and still have most of it left!

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:14 pm
Oh Noodles 8 years from the start of your IVA that is far too long! I totally empathise with you and I know I'd be screaming before now. Let's hope it's not going to take much longer!
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Noodles

Post by Noodles » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:18 pm
I have a strange feeling that I will wait until the end of Oct and still not receive anything so will be made to phone them on the 0845 number again and have another unforeseen delay as that has been the case for the last 2 years.

Is it legal to keep dragging out a closure like this?

I dread calling them now as all I ever get is let down and told it's still going on.

Jay H

Post by Jay H » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:17 pm
Will,some one dum down the vat problem please ???i don't understand
I am no expert but would like to give advice based on my own personal experience...

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:23 pm
Basically there was a court case ( Paymex)where they decided that VAT wasn't chargeable on IVA's and so IP's had to go back over cases and claim back the VAT paid over, then distribute this amongst the creditors -- as you can imagine, a right royal pain in the rear end!

Anyway -- that was all settling down and almost forgotten when HMRC suddenly announced that the court decision didn't apply to IVA's which had been bought in ( why, I have no idea)... so now those IP's who have purchased cases have to recalculate the VAT and pay it back (after getting it back off the creditors!! )
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Jay H

Post by Jay H » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:00 pm
Foggy cheers right load of brain ache.im hoping when it comes to my final payment I have no need for credit etc so my iva can take that bit longer to close
I am no expert but would like to give advice based on my own personal experience...
31 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Disputes and IVA Mediation”