BANK ACCOUNT... PLEASE HELP QUICKLY...!

42 posts Page 2 of 3

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:46 pm
Sorry to hear that Ricki

I've done some research on Bank Accounts and I believe that as long as you have the correct ID (usually one to prove who you are and another to prove where you live) you will be eligible for the following accounts.

- Barclays - Cash Card Account
- Nationwide - Flex Cash Account

Remember that the best thing to do is be upfront and honest with the bank and inform them that you are in an IVA and that you require a basic bank account with no credit products. This way the bank won't waist your time by credit scoring you and then ultimately declining you for the account.

You can access Video Clips giving additional information about IVAs at:
http://www.thomascharles.com/interview_ ... an_iva.asp

If you would like more information about IVAs, other debt solutions, or just want to arrange an informal chat, please visit us at www.thomascharles.com.

Best Regards
Oliver
www.thomascharles.com
Best Regards
Oliver

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:15 pm
Ricki i urge you to try the Abbey, jsut need a passport and a driving licence.

RICKI

Post by RICKI » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:20 pm
Thanks Oliver & Dominic.
I'm waiting to hear from Co-Operative (hopefully I'll have an answer by Thurs)and if I have no joy, I'll try Barclays and Abbey next Monday - I work Wed, Thurs and Fri so if I can get to a bank in that time, I certainly will do.

This isn't completely hopeless is it? Surely other people have this problem.

I'll keep you all updated and thanks so much again,
Erica. x

RICKI

Post by RICKI » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:10 pm
Hi again everyone.....
Well... I'VE GOT A BANK ACCOUNT!! It's with Co-Operative Bank so I can have an Electron card so I'm thrilled to bits that it is at last sorted out!

Thanks so much to everyone for all your help and advice during the last few days - I really appreciate all the people who've taken the time to listen to me whining.

Thanks,
Erica. x

juditka

Post by juditka » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:03 pm
Hi, we've got an account with First Direct as well. I'm so worried now. We;ve moved to them from barclays just before the IVA.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:48 pm
Hello

I admit that this is a worrying development from First Direct. I have only experienced a few cases of people being having their accounts closed so I am hoping that these are allocated instances.

If the worst comes to the worst their is light at the end of the tunnel as I know there are bank account providers whom are happy to provide accounts to people in IVAs.

Please keep us updated.

If you would like more information about IVAs, other debt solutions, or just want to arrange an informal chat, please visit us at www.thomascharles.com.

Best Regards
Oliver
www.thomascharles.com
Best Regards
Oliver

RICKI

Post by RICKI » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:09 pm
Hi, I really didn't want to worry anyone when I posted my original message... So I wanted to post again to let you know exactly what happened.....
I'd been with First Direct since May/June(ish), hadn't used an overdraft, all my direct debits etc were always paid, both our salaries were paid into the account and we had no problems at all. When the account was first opened, I was given an automatic £500 overdraft which I reduced to nil as soon as the account was up and running. Just over 2wks ago, I received a phone call from First Direct which said that they had become aware that I was in an IVA (a fact I certainly hadn't hidden from them, in fact the standing order was payable to "The Supervisors of the IVA") and because of that, they could no longer offer me banking services. I asked why and they said it's a recent clause and because I'm not a 'longstanding' customer their new policy is to cancel accounts. I was given 30days before my account will be closed.
I now have a new account with CoOperative Bank and my latest problem is that I get paid for the last time into my First Direct account on 28th November but the account is due to be closed on 30th November. As I don't have a chequebook with them, I can only withdraw £500 per day from the account to pay into my new account which means that some money will still be in First Direct on the day my account is closed. The only way I can withdraw my full salary is to get authorisation from First Direct, but I've spoken to them today and they're not happy to give me that authorisation. God knows why! Anyway, needless to say, I'm fighting it everystep of the way: That's my salary, and I'll be damned if theyr'e going to get their hands on my money. Right, deep breaths....!!!!
Like I said, I really don't want to worry anyone but I wonder if it may be worth people with a First Direct account looking elsewhere, mainly so that noone else has to go through the sleepless nights that I've gone through lately.
Sorry if I have worried anyone, but we all really do need to be aware of how things can change for us....
Erica. xx

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:57 pm
Hello Ricki

Please do not apologize. You have done everyone a service by describing your experiences with First Direct. This is indeed worrying news and I would recommend that people no longer open new accounts with First Direct if they are about to propose an IVA. I would also recommend the same for HSBC which now owns First Direct as I am concerned that they will soon follow suit.

As for your salary, you should be able to ask for a Bankers Draft from the bank which you can then pay into your new bank account. You will most likely be asked to provide ID for this request but that should be all.

Best Regards
Oliver
www.thomascharles.com
Best Regards
Oliver

neverending

Post by neverending » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:29 pm
Hi
Why not contact your employer and get your wages paid into your new account? They should be able to do this before the 28th .
Andy Davie

illihor

Post by illihor » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:46 am
Just found some more interesting First Direct information.

BBC News Story - HERE

On the way to a brighter future....:-D
Kind Regards.

Lee

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:12 am
Yes that is interesting. It seems that First Direct (and potentially HSBC) are not the people to see when going through an IVA or a low income. They seem to be living up to the stereotype of money grabbing creditor.

Best Regards
Oliver
www.thomascharles.com
Best Regards
Oliver

kezza

Post by kezza » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:39 pm
Hi there,
I'm with first direct but as they are one of my creditors I am going to swap anyway. As for the news about charges I think I would be changing anyway!!!!!![:u]
THE ONLY WAY IS UP :-)

RICKI

Post by RICKI » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:49 pm
Hi again, thanks so much for your support: I really did feel guilty about worrying people about First Direct, however I have spoken to a lad I work with today who doesn't know the financial problems I've been having - He's in an IVA and received his letter from First Direct yesterday telling him that his account will be closed the wk before Christmas he's been banking with them for 12months. I agree that First Direct/HSBC are certainly showing their true colours at the moment and to be honest, I'm glad I'm no longer going to be giving them my service.
Neverending:... I cannot get this month's salary paid into the new account - I work in a large NHS trust so any changes in details need to be passed to Payroll before the 7th of the month. So I'm going to get to personnel before 7th December to sort out December's pay.
Anyway, thanks again for your support,
Erica. x

juditka

Post by juditka » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:09 pm
Right!, let's ressurect this thread by saying THEY'VE DONE IT to us as well.

As per my previous post, we are with First Direct and just about and hour ago I received the dreaded call, they're closing our Account on the 30th of March. We've been hoping Ricki's was an isolated case but how wrong we were. Now it's time for us to rush around looking for an alternative but luckily, thanks to Ricki, we know where start.

If it wasn't for you Ricki we wouldn't know where to go or where to start.

My advice is anyone banking with First Direct should act now as there's no better time.

iva experts

Post by iva experts » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:15 pm
Hi Juditka,

Sorry to hear that it this has happened to you.

Tthank you for posting, its great to hear some updated news about First Direct/HSBC bank accounts.

As previously posted you can try and open basic accounts with the following lenders:

-Abbey: Basic Account - Barclays: Cash Card Account

-Natwest: Step Account - Nationwide: Flex Cash Account

This is providing that none of the above are your creditors.

Hope this information is of use

Regards. IVA Experts
Best Regards,
Michelle Pontes
IVA Experts
http://www.iva-experts.co.uk/
42 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “the hot hot IVA topics in 2007, 20 replies plus”