Bank Account

16 posts Page 1 of 2

suzz

Post by suzz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:37 pm
Hi all, some advise please, we have not entered into an iva as yet just got the forms to fill in, now, over the last few days myself and other half have tried to open a basic bank accont to have our wages put into BUT other half has been refused by Allience and Leicester and Natinwide and I have been refused by Nationwide, can anyone sugguest a bank/building soceity to try, we where advised on a list sent to us by Accuma to try these but no luck, we just need a basic bank account as advised.

Thanks [88]

kezza

Post by kezza » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:07 pm
Hi there

I got one with natwest, you could try barclays but without knowing who your creditors are it's hard to say.

When you apply for the account do you tell them you are applying for an IVA?
THE ONLY WAY IS UP :-)

kezza

Post by kezza » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:09 pm
Also Abbey are supposed to be good

bluebelle

Post by bluebelle » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:29 pm
Yes...I have a basic with the Abbey....i had no problems getting an account...but i did open it just before i started to get into arrears and stuff and before i started my IVA process...but it does say on their website that it is for people with a 'poor credit record'. You get internet banking with it as well. You don't get a debit card facility but i have a prepaid credit card for any card transactions i want to make (eg internet shopping/phone payments).

suzz

Post by suzz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:32 pm
creditors to be are Natwest, Halifax, MBNA, GM, Egg, Shell, we have accounts with Abbey, but we have a overdraft limit on them but never used, do we have to tell Abbey about going for iva or do we just have to have the overdraft limit taken off, this can get a bit confusing, what u can have with a bank account and what u can't.

kezza

Post by kezza » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:35 pm
If you hold an account with abbey but do not owe them any money at all ie overdraft loans cards etc then just have your credit facilities cancelled and you should be fine with that

suzz

Post by suzz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:47 pm
is Abbey linked to any other bank/building soceity, also what is classed as credit facilities? does this include the debit cards? and do we have to tell them the reason for cancelling the credit facilities.

kezza

Post by kezza » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:57 pm
You don't have to tell them anything, they may ask why though but you don't have to tell them. debit cards are ok as you can only use them for what cash you have available, credit is credit cards, overdraft and loans.

If you have online facilities you can do it there and not have to speak to anyone, just leave yourself with an account with no extras on it just a current account and debit card.

neverending

Post by neverending » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:58 pm
Suzz
If you have no luck with the big names try Gregory Pennington banking services,08456343499,they offer a managed bank account at £8 per month.You can pay direct debits and standing orders and they are to introduce a debit card shortly.Money that you pay in is used to pay all your direct debits and standing orders and the surplus is transferred into a seperate account that you access via a cash point card.I use them and highly recommend them.
regards
Andy Davie

suzz

Post by suzz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:08 pm
[:)] Thank you ALL for your help, i think we will stay with Abbey as we opened these accounts a good 6 months ago when we had a bit of trouble with Natwest, we do not owe them anything and have never used the overdraft facility, i think we will cancel the overdraft facility on line as advised by Kezza, as i do not wish to face anyone at the moment.
Suzz

kezza

Post by kezza » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:17 pm
It does get you like that sometimes [:)] I feel like hibernating sometimes. I just put my phone on silent then have a look at all the nice people I could have spoken to that day [(#)]

Hang in there it will all come out in the wash as they say [:)]

ian

Post by ian » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:51 am
Hello.

I,m thinking about IVA. and have got a new Bank Acoount with LloydsTsb.

I did this on the phone, its called the Classic Account.

They phoned me today to say that the Account is open.

So try that one.

The number is:- 0845 300 0000

Then go through the normal push buttons to get to where you want to go,but if you dont have an Account then just push the star butten to save time.

I hope this helps.

Ian
Looking forward to the 15th March 2012

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 pm
Classic account allows an Overdraft I beleive and that might not be acceptable in your IVA?

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:51 pm
As far as I am aware the Lloyds Classic account shouldn't be a problem providing you don't have an overdraft. I've got a Lloyds Classic Plus account (which I opened before I started my IVA) and I was told there was no problem with me keeping the account providing I had no overdraft.

Three down, fifty seven to go until freedom!

DebtDummy

Post by DebtDummy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:23 am
One of my creditors is HSBC where we had our account. We had problems and doing an IVA and switched to a STEP account with NatWest. What would happen if all went terribly wrong and we had to do a BR? Do we need to switch banks again or can we keep the STEP? Thank you Neverending for the post on Gregory Pennington banking services. I went to the site. Great service, but RBS is backing them. Would this pose a problem for people who have RBS as a creditor?

Thank you all.
All I have left is my humour. :)

View my blog http://www.debtdummybankruwoman.blogs.iva.co.uk.
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “IVA postbag for january”