Basic account referred

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
30 posts Page 1 of 2

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:26 pm
Arghhhh!! [B)] I'm at a complete loss now.
Just applied on the phone for a basic Co-op account as has been suggested by many people on here.

I have no defaults on any of my creditors EVER, and with the exception of obviously owing a lot, I have NEVER defaulted.

But when I just applied on the telephone to the Co-op, they said that the decision has been "referred" and that I need to call back on Friday for a decision.
I was understanding that Co-op Cashminder Account is the way forward. Why has it been referred?
What are my other options if this gets rejected? I'm really really depressed now - everything is closing in on me. I'm at the end of my tether. Please help me someone because I don't know where else to go if the Co-op reject me for a basic cashminder account.
Now debt free after F&F in July 2012.

Til

Post by Til » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:33 pm
aw don't worry I seem to have heard of this "referring" a lot and from what I have heard you will probably still get the account. If you are on the electoral roll then you shouldn't have a problem.
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:34 pm
Are you on the voters list? That is one reason why the Co-op can be funny.

You could try Yorkshire Bank, Barclays are usually ok as well for a basic account, or Natwest. Depends on who your creditors are.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:38 pm
kallis3 wrote:

Are you on the voters list? That is one reason why the Co-op can be funny.

You could try Yorkshire Bank, Barclays are usually ok as well for a basic account, or Natwest. Depends on who your creditors are.
I'm on the electoral role yes.
My credit rating is lower than is should be because within the last few months (before I knew about IVAs), I was applying left, right and centre for consolidation loans (which I'm so glad I didn't get).
Barclays are one of my creditors, so that would be no good.
I thought Co-op would be relatively straight forward to apply for. It's only a basic current account - I definitely chose the right one and as I say it's been referred.
If this doesn't get approved - how the hell am I supposed to find a bank that will take me.
It's so bizarre because as I say - although in a lot of debt - I have no defaults on my record (checked my Experian record earlier). My credit rating is in the "Poor" category - but only because of about 12 other applications for current accounts and consolidation loans.
Trouble is, I can't wait another three months for those all to drop off before re-applying for an account, because I've not got three months left before I drop into serious trouble (no overdraft left!).

Cath

Post by Cath » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:42 pm
There is the clearcash card on which you can have your wages paid and do online trasnsactions to pay bills etc, although it does come in with a monthly fee (I think)

Hang on in there you'll probably be accepted on Friday and the worry will be over.
7 year IVA completed in December 2016 - there is light at the end of that tunnel

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:43 pm
Cath wrote:

There is the clearcash card on which you can have your wages paid and do online trasnsactions to pay bills etc, although it does come in with a monthly fee (I think)

Hang on in there you'll probably be accepted on Friday and the worry will be over.
I've just checked on Credit Expert - I have access to that.
I am on the electoral role, but my name is spelt wrong! Only one letter out - an A instead of an E.
Would this have an impact and if so how do I go about changing this to get it right?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:44 pm
If you are on the voters list, it shouldn't make any difference and Co-op are well known for being sympathetic.

Try the other ones I mentioned, or a paid for account. Clearcash is fine, but does not do Direct Debits. Secure Trust does them, not sure about Thinkbanking.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

johnh

Post by johnh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:01 pm
I'm sure you won't have a problem with the Co-op. There are no credit checks (as far as I know) on basic accounts, but all new accounts are checked for things such as money laundering, terrorist suspects etc and so are not issued immediately. If you are not already in your IVA, you can open a Nationwide flex account by going into the branch.

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:14 pm
johnh wrote:

I'm sure you won't have a problem with the Co-op. There are no credit checks (as far as I know) on basic accounts, but all new accounts are checked for things such as money laundering, terrorist suspects etc and so are not issued immediately. If you are not already in your IVA, you can open a Nationwide flex account by going into the branch.
I'm not in an IVA yet, so I may try that.
I do have a couple of recent credit searches for various applications which I think has lowered my credit rating, but I'm sure I could explain that in a branch.
Trouble is with a Nationwide Flex Account, I really need a debit card and I don't think they do one.
I am so stressed out by all this - even moreso now that my application for just a basic account has been referred. Blimey if I can't even get a basic Co-op account, which everyone else has recommended, I really won't know where to turn.
I need an account with direct debit capability and debit card, because I do have things that I need to pay in those methods...just a cash card account is really out of the question.
Please I pray that my Co-op application is approved or else I will be doomed to failure. [:(!][B)][}:)][xx(][:(][:(]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 pm
I'm sure you will be ok with the Co-op but if not, and no other basic bank account is available, then you may have to think about the paid for accounts.

Secure Trust do direct debits and give you a debit card. I think it's one of the few paid for accounts which do that as far as I am aware.
Bob Marley.

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:28 pm
kallis3 wrote:

I'm sure you will be ok with the Co-op but if not, and no other basic bank account is available, then you may have to think about the paid for accounts.

Secure Trust do direct debits and give you a debit card. I think it's one of the few paid for accounts which do that as far as I am aware.
Except they appear to be linked to Barclays. Just had a look at their website. Not sure that they do direct debits either.
God this is getting me in a spin. I guess I just wait until Friday to see if Co-Op approve me. If they don't - then I will panic.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:35 pm
Secure Trust are not linked to anyone and they do DD.

The only drawback is that you have to pay a monthly fee, but you will not be credit checked.
Bob Marley.

sunkendrailer

Post by sunkendrailer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:41 pm
kallis3 wrote:

Secure Trust are not linked to anyone and they do DD.

The only drawback is that you have to pay a monthly fee, but you will not be credit checked.
I just hope and pray the Co-op come good.
I really can't understand why I would be rejected for this basic account - because apart from having a number of recent applications - I have kept myself in reasonable order.
Is it just possible that because my name is spelt wrong on the electoral register, albeit one letter out, that could have flagged up something? If so, how would I rectify that?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:48 pm
It is a possibility, but I don't really know.

See what the Co-op say - you can always appeal.
Bob Marley.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:49 pm
Hi
It is very common for the application to be referred.
You will be fine, I'm sure
Regards
Andam Davies
30 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”