Best basic bank/building society accounts

29 posts Page 2 of 2

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:52 am
all mine done myself too, we travel with work sometimes and my pay claim goes into my bank account monthly if there is a claim in. I transferred all my DD's, set up IP's S/O, etc, made sure I was paid wages into this account and once my travel money didn't go in...I queried this with wages and the travel is sent from another department so I lost that months as they couldn't recall it and the bank (one of my creditors) swallowed it up, so just a word of warning check and double check everything x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

bandit

Post by bandit » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:46 pm
hey all, abbey seem to be a good option i would imagine my credit score is at an all time low and abbey gave me a full account with a visa electron card online no hassle, its best to apply pre iva.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:50 pm
It is better to apply pre IVA - you should get a better account that way.

Posters do need to know that any new bank account should be with a bank who is not one of your creditors.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

confuzzled

Post by confuzzled » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:21 pm
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Just a quick update as others might find it useful. Smile turned me down for a current account (and sent a very confusing, contradictory message via their application tracker so I had to call them to check the situation). I then tried for a LloydsTSB Classic Account. Rang them (as their online applications couldn't find my address) and I was offered their Classic Account, which comes with a visa debit card, cheque book, etc. They also offered me a Silver Account (with added benefits on mobile insurance, car breakdown cover etc) for £7.95 a month which I declined.

Have to say I was surprised I was accepted by them having been turned down by Smile. Feeling quite positive that I've at least got a new account sorted; now just to decide on which IP to go with...

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:25 pm
Sounds as though you've got a decent account!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:26 pm
I'm glad you've got a good account!

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:30 pm
Good to see that Lloyds are not discriminating against people with financial problems. It is about time that banks realised that people with financial problems rarely make the same mistakes twice.Once your IVA is over you may well take a mortgage, car loan, credit card etc through Lloyds and children often open student accounts in the bank where the parents have accounts. If I were a bank I would be delighted to take people with IVAs or discharged/undischarged bankrupts as when their bankruptcy/IVA is over they have no debt and should be very good long term customers.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:32 pm
Have to say that my daughter opened up an account with HSBC because we rated them at the time!

She has since changed!
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:34 pm
I have to say that Lloyds were fine with me when I went BR - they allowed me to keep my full account, and I only closed it due to my own stupidity. I sent the debit card to the OR, and Lloyds would then only give me a cash card which wasn't any good to me.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 pm
We kept our Barclays joint account, even thought they were one of my creditors. We pay money in when we have any spare and nothing has ever been said so hopefully it will still be going when we finish.
Bob Marley.

jtomo64

Post by jtomo64 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:06 am
I was with RBS for over 20 years, but as they were one of my main creditors I had to leave them. I went for the Lloyds Classic Account and am really pleased I did. It offers all the facilities I need and even pays interest.
The account was easy to set up, and their online banking is really easy to use.
I have also found the staff in my local branch to be really helpful and very friendly.

I would definitely recommend them, and the good thing is they are not linked to to many other organisations so are often suitable for persons in an IVA.

Good luck with the whole IVA process Confuzzled.
I have my creditors meeting today at 1100am.
That is why I am up at 0200 in the morning.
Another sleepless night. lol.

Pennyless

Post by Pennyless » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:45 am
jtomo64.....best of luck for today....let us know how you get on.

Will have fingers crossed.
I came into this world with nothing and still have most of it left!

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:14 am
Good luck from myself too jtomo64, hope it'a ll goes positivively for you.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 am
Good luck from me as well - waiting to see a positive post!
Bob Marley.
29 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “bank accounts and credit cards”