Boiler Juice

109 posts Page 6 of 8

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:15 am
I wholeheartedly agree Lesley.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:20 am
I can't imagine not having central heating either. I like being warm too much. I love having central heating and an open fire as it makes the living room super cosy and warms the rooms either side of he chimney breast too. We use a bit of smokeless coal, but mostly just burn wood or the briquettes we have made from recycled newspaper.

My children do have an awareness of animals gained thesemselves from unfortunate encounters with the pets of irrersponsible dog owners. They would never bother an animal as they are too scared.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:35 pm
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one AR - it's gas or nothing for me now I'm afraid!

I couldn't be doing with an open fire - they look lovely, but are too much like hard work for me, and certainly not making briquettes myself! Old paper goes in the recylcing bin so no doubt the council can ship it off to China!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:44 pm
Whilst I used to love a coal fire when I was young, I didn't have to go through the performance of laying and trying to light the thing. That's too much like hard work for me.

We have a lovely living flame gas fire which we do use sometimes and that is lovely and cosy - and no mess!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:52 pm
Unfortunately the gas was disconnected to the fireplace so we've only got an electric fire which hardly gets used. I'm much rather have a gas fire but at least this covers the hole in the wall where the lovely old fire place was removed!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:58 pm
Can never understand why people remove those fireplaces - they are lovely!

We changed ours as it was a very outdated brick one put in by the builder. We have a nice stone one now with a nice gas fire.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:04 pm
We looked at a few houses in this road and all the others had the old tiled fireplaces but typically we get the one where it had been taken out! I keep looking for one, but they are so expensive, and as Dave pointed out to me when I was looking on Ebay, so heavy!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:08 pm
Postage might cost a bit![:D]
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:16 pm
[:D]

I think there's some places round here that sell things like that so I'm going to keep looking. I don't mind cleaning it up, and I'm not too worried about the state of the tiles as I know I can get them fairly cheaply.

This could be my vocation - fireplace restoration!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:19 pm
A career change could be on the cards then!

You never know - you could make a fortune at it!
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:30 pm
I'm also going to have a go at repainting our bedroom furniture next year!

When we were at the flat we sold my mum our old bedroom furniture as we changed to fitted furniture. When we moved here we didn't have anything and couldn't afford to buy what we wanted to we bought it back from her!

Unfortunately I don't like it as it's pine and I want white, so I'm planning on rubbing it down and painting it white. I'm not the most practical person in the world so anything could happen...

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:40 pm
I wouldn't be allowed to attempt anything like that - I'm the best when it comes to decorating!
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:45 pm
I've been told I've got to try the back of one of the bedside tables before I move onto the chest of draws!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:46 pm
[:D][:D]

Did you mean drawers Skippy?[:D]
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:49 pm
Yep, well spotted!

I usually read my posts back as I hate it if I make spelling mistakes, especially basic ones like that!
109 posts Page 6 of 8
Return to “money saving tips”