BR help needed please!

4 posts Page 1 of 1

katy

Post by katy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:43 am
I rang my IVA supervisor this morning and informed her I would like to file for Bankruptcy, she said I had to write her a letter to confirm all this and she would put the wheels in motion. I mentioned on another thread that I didn't include all of my creditors when setting up the IVA so what I would like to know is do I write to my other creditors and inform them that I am applying for bankruptcy (as i'm getting demands now) and if so what should I write.
Also I have a cash account where my husbands wages go in, will we be able to keep that? (I appreciate that I will lose my abbey bank account with visa electron etc) My husband is paid fortnightly and it will cause even more problems if there's no place for is wages to go in.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:24 pm
Hi
There would be no problem in writing to your creditors as long as you are sure that you are going to go down this road.
Do not pay any more of your unsecured debts and you will need to make sure that the cash account is empty on the day of bankruptcy and it should be fine to carry on using this account after BK.

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:28 pm
Hi Katy, is your IP going to petition for your BR, or are you going to have to do it yourself? It's up to you whether to write to your creditors, but if you do it may not make any difference as they probably won't believe that you will actually do it.

Is the cash account in your name? If so he needs to open an account in his name BEFORE you petition for BR otherwise his wages will become part of your BR estate. Are Abbey one of your creditors? If not you may be able to keep the account. Is it a basic account with no credit facilities? If it is and you tell the OR that they will nost likely contact the bank and say that they have no interest in the account. It is then down to Abbey whether you can keep the account.

If you do have to change accounts the Co-op do a basic Cashminder account with a Visa Electron card. I also have a basic Flexaccount with Nationwide, but that doesn't have a debit card. If you apply for the Nationwide account you will most likely need to do this in a branch.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

katy

Post by katy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:45 pm
Hi both, thanks for replying. I will still write to them and then they will find out eventually that I have partitioned. My IP said that they would, I think that is what she said.
The account is a joint account and we are both applying to be made bankrupt. I do not have any debts with the Abbey apart from the odd bank charge but I think they would like to get rid of us as we haven't been the best of customers in the past. The Abbey account is pretty basic, no OD, just a cheque book and a visa electron card. The cash account is with the Lloyds and can only withdraw cash from Lloyds machines. I wasn't aware I could still have an electron card if I were to be made BR.
There are so many things to learn and questions to ask.
Thank you all for your help
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “bankruptcy approved, what a relief!!”