breakdown cover

22 posts Page 1 of 2

emptyspaces

Post by emptyspaces » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:24 pm
i had to arrange some breakdown cover today i phoned round got some prices and then i tried a broker called swinton they are currently offering 3mths free cover for home start recoovery to any uk destination etc but it is limited to 4 call outs a year for me after the 3 mths that are free it is 9.50 a mth. obviously premium depends on what car u have and how old it is. just thought this may be of a help to some one. down side is that it only covers you car. if u want personal cover so u are coverd what ever car u are driveing the premium goes sky high. hope i have not broken rules by nameing company names
"Since it cost a lot to win
and even more to lose
You and me bound to spend some time
wondring what to choose
Wait until your deal come round
Don't you let that deal go down"
Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia 1971

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:31 pm
I'm sure naming a company is fine, it's recommending them as they may be of help to other posters.

I'm with the RAC at the minute but we'll see what they quote me when it's renewal time.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:40 pm
I use swinton for my car insurance.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

emptyspaces

Post by emptyspaces » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:41 pm
an old trick rac and others play is this say u never been a member and u see a guy or bloke selling membership in supermarket or petrol station etc the price they give u will be cheap well as cheap as u will get it then come the time of reneall the premium goes sky high. so if u wanted to stay with them cancell policy then join up when u next see a guy girl selling it at petrol station or suppermarket. or u can always finde some one selling it at a motorway sevice station
and even more to lose
wondring what to choose

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:34 am
Too much hassle for me!!! I've stuck with the AA through thick and thin and they have been brilliant.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:47 am
Green Flag's top level of cover was only £6 a month - it provides homestart and courtesy car, travel back home or to a hotel etc...definately worth shopping around - I used Compare.com and it came up with loads of options.

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

emptyspaces

Post by emptyspaces » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 am
yeah green flag are very good but the way breakdown cover works is the price the policy on make and model. and age of car aa and rac are the exception to this they have set prices. for me green flag was 11 quid a mth
and even more to lose
wondring what to choose

Anna.da

Post by Anna.da » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:01 pm
i signed up for AA a couple of months back, a guy with a stand outside our local supermarket and it was cheap (£27 a year) but only covered the car. They sent me a letter a couple of weeks later offering me joint membership which covered me and my husband, rather than the car for only another £10. I phoned them up to arrange it and it had reduced to £7!! Bargain i think!

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:46 pm
I bought mine from a man outside Sainsbury, I was going to Manchester on a family trip and had not had it before and just thought I best get it x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Isis Black

Post by Isis Black » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:11 pm
i cant remember the name of the company off the top of my head but i went with one recommended on Money saving expert site it costs £60 per year with no limit on call outs and includes cover at the home address to
its been a god send the past year as i called them out so many times last year, even on holiday in skeggy :-s
this time next year We'll be millionaires :-)

lizwalker

Post by lizwalker » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:10 am
I use The Green Insurance Company. £19 a year. They use local businesses/Garages if you break down. I have not have to call them out but my bosses daughter has had to call them out and cant fault the service she received!

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:35 pm
I'm with RAC. Didn't realise the cost varied so much or that there were so many providers LOL!! You've opened up a whole new world...I thought it was AA, RAC or nowt. Wouldn't recommend RAC on price (£13pm) and touch wood haven't called them out (shouldn't have said that!!!!) so can't vouch for service.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:39 pm
It does vary a lot - sometimes it depends on the service you have recieved in the past and the AA have always done it for me regardless of cost.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

mattyboy

Post by mattyboy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:43 pm
Phone up every renewal time and ask for a better price. RAC halved my monthly installments and the cover is the same. AA will knock down the price as well. You just have to ask.
"Just when you think that you can make ends meet, somebody moves the ends."

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:51 pm
I'm afraid I'm a loyal person - been with the AA since 1972 and will stick with them. They have been brilliant with me in the past.
Bob Marley.
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “money saving tips”