Britannia Hotel Birmingham 29th March

140 posts Page 9 of 10

pixie

Post by pixie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:37 am
Well I'm off to catch the train! I'll see you all there [:)]
Pixie
'Welcome to where ever you are, this is your life you've made it this far, welcome, you've got to believe right here right now is exactly where you're meant to be'
IVA started may 07 ended dec 08

emma_t

Post by emma_t » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:41 am
mr&mr skint
I would have loved to have met you both, but sure there will be many more opportunities to do that.
Have a rest and I hope you start to feel a bit better soon xx

Skippy would have been great to see you also but same as above and give beautiful Harry a cuddle from me xx

Everyone else - see you there!!
Be positive & look after yourself, there are more important things in life than debts....

Best Wishes

Emma x

Totalgav

Post by Totalgav » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:35 am
Hi everybody!

it was great to meet you all last night! I'm back at work today hence the early post.

Will see you again soon hopefully

Gavin (the new one! hehe)

lily

Post by lily » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:07 pm
It was very good to meet you too, and everyone else.
lily

CoverItAll

Post by CoverItAll » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:43 pm
Hi Gang,

It was great to see so many people in Birmingham last evening. Congratulations to those who had to overcome real fears in taking the step to join us, we hope you found the evening worthwhile, and will want to attend another.

Sincere thanks to Andy for organising it, and Melanie for trying so hard to feed us all, in spite of the hotel !

I hope to see many of you "Down South" (Portsmouth) on Saturday May 10th.
John Tegg
john.tegg@dms4asu.co.uk
http://www.paymentcover.co.uk
STANDARD TERMS for Forum Members for Home Insurance, Self Employed Tradesman's Public Liability, and Short Term Income Protection.

gavin

Post by gavin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:11 pm
a big thank you to Andy and Melanie
Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:11 pm
What a great night it was, and so lovely to see so many forum members at the same venue. By the time I had got to Worcester on the way back, I had calmed down somewhat about the appalling quality of the hotel and especially the food! But would still like to apologise to everyone for such a poor performance by the hotel and their staff. I quite literally thought that I was back in an Army cookhouse again - and it made Fawlty Towers seem more like the Ritz!

At the end of the day it didn't matter - most of us have lived through rough times of late, and a little matter like this did not detract from the companionship and community spirit I experienced yesterday evening in the company of such lovely people. Special thanks to Andy and Bev for hosting the evening, and keeping everyone amply supplied with drinks.

And my husband Tony, would like to send his sincere thanks to Paul Johns for being such a kind chaparone to walk me back to my car at the end of the evening. I have to say that I found the city centre quite intimidating, and it did not help that my car-park ticket did not work and then we could not find the car!

Lessons learned for the venue for the next meeting perhaps, where I feel it would be better to find somewhere more convenient for drivers with at least parking facilities at the hotel. The car park advised by the hotel yesterday evening was actually some way from the hotel, and for lone females I think that this is a priority concern - especially after the fatal stabbing incident in Manchester! What a sign of our quality of life in this country these days.

Hope you found your own car after Paul, and again many, many thanks for your kindness in doing that. It is not often that I feel vulnerable, and Tony says that dinner is definately on him next time you come to Cardiff!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

pixie

Post by pixie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:26 pm
I hope everyone got home safe and sound [:)]
I had a great evening, it was good to put faces to names and meet everyone. Not at all scary [:D] I'd love to come to another one sometime. Portsmouth is just a little too far though!
Thanks to Andy for plying me with drink all night [:D] and Melanie for the buffet!
Pixie
'Welcome to where ever you are, this is your life you've made it this far, welcome, you've got to believe right here right now is exactly where you're meant to be'
IVA started may 07 ended dec 08

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:01 pm
Hi
Thanks to all for attending,especially Pixie,Emma T and Totalgav for overcoming their nerves and attending their first frugal friends meeting.It was good to meet Paul Johns and to see,once again,Gavin,Donna,Aguise,Soulgrowth and Lily along with forum vererans Melanie,John Tegg and wife Gwen.We were also joined by Martin Law who is an Independant financial advisor,I'm hoping that he will be able to post advice and info on the forum.
The food[?] was kindly sponsored by Melanie again,very much appreciated.
John Tegg has offered to sponsor the next frugal friends[location,time and date to be confirmed,although the 10th May has been penciled in]
This was by far our best attended frugal friends,we've certainly come along way in just under a year
Thanks again
Regards
Andam Davies

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:04 pm
And you, Mr Davie, should be very proud of yourself for having the vision to start off these events. There is nothing quite like them in this industry, and I feel sure that they will continue to grow and grow.

Without your efforts this would never have got off the ground, and I look forward to the next one soon.

lily

Post by lily » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:41 pm
Thanks for everything, Andy and Melanie, I did enjoy the food too. Although the hotel (and the attitude its of staff) leaves a lot to be desired. The atmosphere was brilliant and the company fantastic.
Last edited by lily on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily

aguise

Post by aguise » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:54 pm
It was a great evening I really enjoyed it. I totally agree Melanie another venue for the next one in Birmingham. easy by train but not if driving. I live here and never drive into the city centre. A lovely place in the day as it is the main shopping area but very different at night.
It was lovely to meet everyone, I really enjoyed it. really relaxed as always.
I did get home ok Emma, but actually ended up standing on the corner for 20 mins after I left, the taxi driver got held up while some kind person, took ages getting their fish and chips, but I was fine.

Melanie the food was fine and much appreciated, after eating what I have whilst dieting it tasted great, but I fully understand your annoyance, the hotel and their attitude was awful.
Andy and Bev thank you for running too and fro the bar. Also for getting it wrong so lily and I got another bacardi lol. Bev is lovely it was so nice to meet her.
Just thanks to everyone for going. I hope more come to the next.

Ang xx
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:06 pm
Hi
Have a look at my blog for details of the meeting
http://andydavie.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Regards
Andam Davies

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:21 pm
I am sitting at my desk at home giggling about the mishaps of last night!!! And at the end of the day nothing really was unsurmountable, but that food just makes me cringe!!!

Am also sitting looking at my beautiful flowers in my conservatory, and many thanks to Lily for arranging for those - I was most touched. Sorry for calling you Lily all night - I really though that that was your real name!!! You must think that I am a complete idiot!!

Also staring at the unopened box of chocs brought by Emma to share with the girls in the office!!! It's getting too tempting, but I will try and resist!

Can't wait for the next meeting - it's in my diary, and as I have have a few clients in that area I will be rallying support. By that time the nights will be much lighter, so no avoiding gangs of hoodies in dark alleyways any more!

lily

Post by lily » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:46 pm
Melanie

Lily is part of my real name so its fine, I answer to it always. They call me fag ash lil, you can guess why.

There are some lovely hotels in Solihull where I live, its very central and easy by train too, particularly as its near to the NEC.

Andy's Bev is a lovely person also. It was a fantastic night so the problems with the food were just a detail. As I said I really enjoyed it. I just thought the flowers would be a nice guesture, to show our gratitude, glad you liked them.

When I do use Brum for shopping I park by the markets in Moat lane, there is no way on earth I would walk to and back to the car in that atea on my own, unless I was suicidal. The taxi driver took me to the wrong hotel, when he realised the correct one, he threw the car into reverse and drove backwards in a one way area at high speed which was a little scary, nothing compared to going forwards though, I felt quite lucky to be alive.
Last edited by lily on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily
140 posts Page 9 of 10
Return to “past frugal friends meetings”