Can I change my mind and go bankrupt?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
7 posts Page 1 of 1

gemmab1979

Post by gemmab1979 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:53 am
Hi there

I am in the final stages of my IVA, just waiting for the Ip to set a creditors meeting date, however, I am now thinking that, I should have chosen the bankrupcy option after reading that your credit file doesnt distinguish between an IVA and Bankrupcy, I thought it would be much worse for Bankrupcy and its not, which is the main reason I chose the IVA. I am going to struggle paying back the IVA for 5 years, I can do it but its not going to be a very good quality of living, and without wanting to sound like a cop out, should I have chose bankrupcy? I realise that you still have to make monthly payments, I own a small cheap car and have no house so theres no problem there, yes it will go in the papers but im doubting not that many people would pick up on it.
But also, at this point, can I change my mind? Has anyone else done this? Your advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:18 am
Hi Gemma and welcome.

If you have not set up your IVA, you can stop it and go for bankruptcy if you wish. It will cost you £495.

As for the IVA, we all have to cut back on stuff to pay it, it is never going to be an easy ride and most of us struggle at some point or other.

Your credit file will be shot for 6 years either way.

You need to have a good think and decide which is the best option for you. Perhaps have a chat with your IP and tell them what you are thinking of doing. You will need to tell your IP anyway if you go br.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

gemmab1979

Post by gemmab1979 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:44 am
thanks Jan, I guess what really shocked me was out of the 15k I pay back, only 9k goes on the debt the rest is too the solicitors, I cant help but think that has something to do with an IVA being advised ahead of BR, and it surprised to me to think im not really paying back that much of my debt!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:56 am
What is your total debt and who is preparing your IVA? Those fees do seem a bit excessive.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:17 am
Hey Gemma, welcome to the forum. Can't really add anything to what Kallis has said. Make sure you carefully consider both options and also consider a debt management plan before you sign anything. Talk to your IP, they are there to help you. Good luck. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:21 am
I forgot about the debt management Viki.

Depending on what Gemma's monthly payment, that might be the best option, her debt, on first look, doesn't lookt to be excessively high.
Bob Marley.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:23 pm
If you already recognise that it will be a struggle to pay the IVA payments, then this route is definately not for you and you should take time to reconsider the other options. IVAs are not meant to take one set of debt problems and replace them with others.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”