Can i get back bank charges while in an IVA?

17 posts Page 1 of 2

qwerty1

Post by qwerty1 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:33 am
Can i persue back any bank charges with the banks that i have an iva with? i have been fined many times back in the past.
if it is possible, what will happen to the recovered money?

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:34 am
im guessing it will be classed as a windfall and all go to your creditors.
lots of payments to go.

lenalena

Post by lenalena » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:44 am
Hi

There is currently a test case in progress with 7/8 of the major high street banks and the Office of Fair trading. This is to see if bank charges are legal or not. I would not expext to hear the outcome until late this year and its more likely to be next year.
Currently it would be harder to get any monies repaid.
If you were to be sucessful the monies as Richard said would be paid to your IVA classed as a windfall.

KR, Lenalena

http://www.debthelpexpert.org

PoorbutHappy

Post by PoorbutHappy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:37 pm
I got sum money back off Lloyds over misselling loans. Basically they knocked it off what I owed them. Still £4K less I owe people.

Would do em for bank charges, but I guess we have to wait for the test case to sort itself out first

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:13 pm
Yes you can but it is likely that the money would either be shared out between your creditors as a windfall or that the money disputed would be simply deducted from what you already owed.

Best Regards
Oliver

Thomas Charles and Co Ltd.
Experts in personal debt solutions.
Read customer feedback at: www.thomascharles.com/about_us.asp
Best Regards
Oliver

jpj

Post by jpj » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:57 pm
I put a claim in about 3 weeks ago with a company that claims back your charges.
The claim went in just as the test case was announced,I thought the whole thing would grind to a halt,but the company still seems to be going ahead with it and is chasing the bank!!
I guess companies that have staff that do nothing but chase banks for charges cant just lay everyone off till the OFT sort their lives out... be interesting to see if they do get me any money before the ruling!!...[:o)]

jandc

Post by jandc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:36 am
Hi

I am in an IVA and my main creditor was HSBC. I took them to court for my bank charges totalling £3k. The first response from them was that they would take it off what i owe, but i did not accept that as i am already paying them back what i owe in my IVA. I sent the next step letter saying i wasnt accepting and received my full and final settlement of £3k a day before the court case. I split the money 50% with the IVA company. Hope this helps.

Yani

Post by Yani » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:33 pm
I have just received a letter after about a year trying to get my overdraft charges back when going trough an IVA. Got £382.50 and it going to my creditors as a windfall!! It wont deduct anything of my outstanding balance. It`s simply going back where it came from to banks who charged me riddicoulous money at the first place! my Iva company says it is just extra for the creditors to share inbetween them! is this ok? Im really struggeling understanding this at all. Please help.
[:(!]Y.S

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:35 pm
I am suprised that the bank in question has not retained the money against their claim - but if the cheque is coming to you it is a windfall and it is right that your creditors share the money amongst themselves.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:25 pm
Sounds about right. As Mel says its a surprise that the bank hasnt kept the money themselves,but thats what happens when they dont communicate with each others departments!!!
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

MRBLUESKY

Post by MRBLUESKY » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:29 am
WHEN CREDITORS VOTE TO ACCEPT IVA,S AND IN MOST CASES ARE AGREEING TO TAKE A SHORTFALL ON THE ORIGINAL DEBT COMMONLY OF THOUSANDS OF POUNDS WHY PURSUE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE FOR A FEW HUNDRED POUNDS. PERSONALLY I WAS GRATEFUL TO MY CREDITORS FOR AGREEING TO MY IVA AND WOULD,NT DREAM OF PERSUING THEM FOR BANK CHARGES.

mickyboy

Post by mickyboy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:43 am
Can sort of agree with what you are saying. However, there charges probably added to your debt of the years. These charges are unfair and it does not cost them as much as they claim. When i applied for my IVA, Capital one have put charges on my account for £50.00 just to send me a letter. Does it really cost this much to send 3 letters.
Mickyboy
On the road to debt free life

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:27 am
I shan't be pursuing any charges. I'm grateful to have been given a second chance and I shall just leave it at that.

Ronald.h.1 - can I ask that you don't post in block capitals please, it's classed as shouting.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

mickyboy

Post by mickyboy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:49 am
Yes Jan,
I understand that we are all grateful for our second chance.However, the charges that these companies were applying to our accounts for missed payments or late payments or exceeding the limit because of the late payment were over the top. When we applied for the IVA, my wife a had a card from GE Money, they were nearly charging £60 per month for a PPI insurance. This had been charged from day one. The amount increased over time to the £60 when we entered the IVA. My wife was unaware of the insurance that was added at the start of the agreement. We will be making a claim against them. I know this will go straight into the IVA, but i feel it is money they have scammed out of us anyway. I know not everyone will claim against the banks and that they are happy with their IVA they have set up with the companies. I am very happy that i have had a second chance to clear my debt, however i can't help but feel aggrieved that i have to pay these costs that are over the top.
Mickyboy
On the road to debt free life

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:04 am
I understand what you are saying as well, and I don't have a problem with something like the misselling of PPI (which I fortunately never had!).

However, if I were to claim charges back, and they went towards my IVA, I can't see the point. The bank had them off me, I get them back and they go to the bank again.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “reclaiming bank charges while in an IVA”