Can I rent a property in an IVA ?

8 posts Page 1 of 1

clive.g

Post by clive.g » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:25 pm
Hi, Im on an iva, If i wanted to rent a property.. Would being on an iva cause a problem??
Last edited by clive.g on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:28 pm
It could Clive, but the best thing to do would be to be up front with the letting agents and advise them of the IVA. Many agents these days will be more than willing to recommend potential tenants who have IVAs, as funnily enough the servicing of regular IVA payments goes some way to demonstrating creditworthiness.

If you run into difficulties you could always approach a private landlord.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:22 pm
Clive, so lovely to see you back on the forum. Barb will be gutted she missed you. Hope you're ok. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:23 am
The other fact to look into is where you are living at the moment and the cost of same. Any difference in current rent and possible new rent will be a factor. It may well need a revision to your monthly IVA payment. Melanie is right and you should advise any prospective landlord that you are in an IVA.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

clive.g

Post by clive.g » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:09 pm
Thanks all for your advice.. As long as i tell the prospectove landlord that im on and iva then they can either accept me or not as such.. And i will let my Insolvency practionior know if i do intent to move out :) Thanks for your help..

Clive ;)

Ps.. Viki.W Hi... Yes sorry i have been soo busy working etc and trying to sort my life out lol ;) and awww bless barb i miss you all too and i hope everything is goin good for you all ;)

Lotsa love to ya always xx Clivey xx
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain

suzz

Post by suzz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:21 pm
Hi clive, we are looking into renting after our house has been sold and we have found that if you go through an agent they require a large deposit if you're in an IVA, or if you don't have a large amount of spare cash they require a guarantor, this being a person who they will want to have a standing order for payment of rent taken out through there bank then, you pay the guarantor back. Not approached a private landlord so don't know how they deal with IVA's may be someone else can advise.

regards

suzz [:)]

clive.g

Post by clive.g » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:28 pm
Thanks Suzz that helps alot from what you have said.. And i will use that to my advantage when i apply for aa rented accomodation and maybe put these idea to them so they can accept me for a property to rent..

Clive xx

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:33 pm
We are in rented and pay our rent in cash every six months to our letting agent cos of the IVA.
We are going to attempt a credit check after xmas to see if we can be accepted for monthly payments or whether we have to continue to pay six monthly in advance ....hoping we can go monthly so that we can utilise the six months rent money we had to find in the first place, by selling some of my personal belongings....my car is in desparate need of replacement and this seems to be the only way we will manage to do it !
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “renting”