Can I still rent a home if I have an IVA?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
5 posts Page 1 of 1

fiona608

Post by fiona608 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:12 am
Hi all. I am considering an IVA. My only worry is that if our landlord at any point decides to not renew our contract then we won't be able rent with my credit score. We have someone that could possibly act as a guarantor in this situation but not sure if they would. Our landlord hasn't indicated that he wants to sell so we could be here for the next ten years, who knows, but my mind is working over time thinking what if we end up homeless?? Any thoughts??

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:23 am
If push came to shove you could always try privately renting as some landlords do not do a credit check. Hopefully you will be OK.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:51 am
It is difficult to get a new tenancy in an IVA, but not impossible. As Kallis says, private landlords rarely credit check and, hopefully, your current landlord will provide a good reference. Sometimes a guarantor does the trick, as do increased deposits or rent upfront (difficult in an IVA, I know).
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Keith White

Industry Expert

Post by Keith White » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 am
I agree - your choices maybe more limited - but private rentals are normally fine. A good reference and a nice smile can do the trick!
Keith White, IVA advisor at iva.com
Contact me at http://www.iva.com/about-us/keith-white

Mrs_Brown

Post by Mrs_Brown » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:43 am
This has been my fear too. I am now a third of the way in, payment number 20 has left my account a few days ago. Time is flying by! I did read about this before my IVA and I remember seeing someone from a letting agent say they didn't mind it because a tenant in an IVA has a dedicated budget for the rent, where someone struggling with debts may be in a situation of getting into arrears. That is something I would be very quick to point out in the event of needing to find somewhere else. Plus I have no history of missing payments. Hopefully it would all support me if I needed to.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”