can no longer afford to pay my IVA

26 posts Page 2 of 2

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:39 pm
i am so sorry zeezee your phone call didn't go as expected do you mind if i ask who you are with?
i just hope you can find the best way forward for both of you, lily is right with myvesta, i contacted them when my iva was rejected they are charity based so it doesn't cost a penny, i have found them extremley helpful i contacted them on line and 5 minutes later they telephoned me, i too will be going down the BR route but i am biding my time doing a DMP as i have applied for another jobg which may mean i can try again for an iva but recently i have been so scared of them hearing others stories who have started and are now unable to continue please keep posting and let us know how you get on
kerri
Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/

jamesfalla

Post by jamesfalla » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:49 pm
Zeezee

I have just read all of the posts in response to your situation. I totally agree that given your situation, you should stop your IVA and declare bankruptcy. I am pretty sure from what you have said that you should never have entered into an IVA in the first place.

You do not have to wait for your IP to fail your IVA or anything else. You just go right ahead and file your own bankruptcy at the local court. I have summarised the procedure you need to follow below.

One point that I do need you to think about. Do you and your wife own your home or do you rent. If you rent then there is no issue whatsoever, if you own your property and there is any equity in it, you may be forced to sell if you declare bankruptcy

1. Identify Your local County Court
To declare bankruptcy, you will have to present your bankruptcy application documents (petition documents) in person at the County Court local to where you live. The local Court can be identified through the telephone book, directory enquiries or by searching on the Court Finder web site:
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/

If you live in London, you may have to present your documents at the High Court located in the Strand.

2 Contact Your Local County Court and Request Application Forms
Telephone your local County Court and confirm that you are considering bankruptcy. Check whether you are speaking to the correct Court location based on your home address. This is important as you must present your Petition for Bankruptcy at the County Court local to your place of residence.

You should then ask the Court to post you the necessary application forms for Bankruptcy and associated information. You will need two documents:

· Bankruptcy Petition (doc 6.27)
· Statement of Affairs (doc 6.28)

The Court will post blank copies of these documents to you free of charge.

Alternatively, these forms can also be downloaded from the internet using the following website links:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cour ... 7_0602.pdf
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cour ... 8_0405.pdf

3. Confirm the Court Fee
If you want to declare bankruptcy, you will have to pay a Court fee. This is generally £460/person. When you are speaking to the Court, you should confirm the exact charge. If you are currently receiving benefits, then you may be able to apply for a discount. You should ask the Court about this.

4. Confirm Whether You Need to Book an Appointment
When you speak to the Court, you should ask whether you will need to make an appointment or whether you can just turn up at any time. Different Country Courts have different procedures. If you need to book an appointment you may have to do so quite for in advance.

If you live in London and are planning to attend the High Court in the Strand, you will not need a prior appointment. You can just turn up on the day.

5. Complete your Bankruptcy Petition Documents
The bankruptcy Statement of Affairs forms are c30 pages in length. They need to be completed fully and correctly. This will normally take between 1-2 hours. Once completed, you should make a photocopy of the forms for future reference. Normally there will not be any facilities at the Court for you to do this.

6 Present Your Completed Application Form at Court
Once you have completed your forms, you must take them, together with your Bankruptcy fee, in person to your local County Court. You should ensure that you arrive no later than 10.00 to ensure the process can be completed the same day.

Once at court the following will happen:

·A Clerk of the Court will take your fee, ensure that your application forms are correctly completed and witness your signature on the Petition Document.

·You will then meet privately with a District Judge. The Judge will ensure that you eligible for Bankruptcy (i.e. insolvent) and will determine whether bankruptcy is appropriate. If the Judge agrees with the Petition, they will declare you bankrupt the same day.

·You will be asked to visit the Official Receiver. This will either be arranged for the same day or you will have to make an appointment at a future date.

7. MEETING THE OFFICIAL RECEIVER

Once you have been declared Bankrupt by the District Judge, you will then have to meet with the Official Receiver (OR). The Official Receiver will study your application forms in more detail. Based on this information, they are responsible for deciding decide how your Bankruptcy will be dealt with:

The Official Receiver will decide the following things:

·How long the bankruptcy will last. This will normally be 12 months although the OR has discretion to shorten or lengthen this.
·If you can afford to make a monthly payment towards your debt and if so how much (known as an Income Payment Order which will normally last 36 months).
·If you have any assets or property, how these will be treated. I.e. if and when they will be sold to realise the asset value for the creditors

James Falla

Expert in IVA, Bankruptcy and informal Debt Management solutions, with extensive experience of solving personal debt problems over the past 10 years. My book, "IVA, Bankruptcy and Other Debt Solutions" was published in 2006. I have made numerous TV and radio appearances including BBC1 News, BBC News 24, Radio 4 and Wake up to Money.

Visit my blog at: http://jamesfalla.blogs.iva.co.uk
James Falla

Expert in IVA, Bankruptcy and informal Debt Management solutions for over 10 years.

For more information visit www.jamesfalla.com and visit my blog at: http://jamesfalla.blogs.iva.co.uk

zeezee

Post by zeezee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:59 pm
Once again I must thank you all for the advice and support you've all shown towards my situation.

I must point out that I don't own my own home, I rent from the local council, and the fact that the debt is mine alone, nothing to do with my wife.

It is obvious that I have no choice but to go for bankruptcy, for peace of mind, our health and more than anything, a life.

Does anyone know under what circumstances I could be refused bankruptcy, and if I was, what happens then?

Are the BK judges understanding or do they give you the third degree so to speak, and tell you what a pratt you've been? There's still so many questions I need answered, but they seem to fail me when I start to type anything in this forum. Is this normal?

I must admit, the whole thing is becoming frightening before I've even started the proceedings! Can anyone that has faced this ordeal give me any clues as to how I will be treated? It's not that I'm a wimp or anything like that, it's just the fact that I'm not used to judges and courts and don't know what to expect.

Perhaps James Falla (thank you for your post) may be the person that could give me these answers, and please don't think that I'm saying the rest of you that have been so good can't give me these answers because I'm not. If anything, I'm just totally overwhelmed and confused about the whole thing at the moment. I've never been in trouble in my life, and have no experience of the judicial system.

Please keep on giving me your responses. Believe me, I need all the support I can get at this time.

Thanks to all.

Zeezee.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:40 pm
Hi ZeeZee

What you need to bear in mind about bankruptcy proceedings, is that it is your right as a British citizen to make an application. You are asking the Courts to make an order protecting you from the ongoing actions of creditors, and are effectively seeking sanctuary from people who you cannot repay.

To this end, the Court are on your side and no against you. The judge will want to be sure that you have taken professional advice and have given serious consideration to the implications of such proceedings. Thereafter, the Official Receiver will deal with your case, you are likely to be interviewed over the telephone, and you may be required to make some contributions for the next three years - but this is unlikely if you are struggling to pay your IVA contributions.

Zeezee don't ever be afraid to ask a question on the forum. That is exactly what is was set up for, and your questions will be similar to those of so many other people that in asking them you are contributing to a much wider audience. It may be better to limit the questions to one per post, as I find it easier to answer just specific points.

No doubt we will chat later.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.
View my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

zeezee

Post by zeezee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:56 pm
I have just downloaded and printed out the 2 sections of the BK petition forms that James Falla so kindly gave me the web addresses of, and on the first page it suggests that you should refer to 'the booklet' to fill in the forms correctly.

Does anyone know if this book is downloadable, rather than a trip to the court?

Zeezee

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:16 pm
Hi ZeeZee

You should find everything you need on the following link.

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/guidancele ... ides.htm#1

View my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk

zeezee

Post by zeezee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:02 pm
Thanks a lot Melanie.

Zeezee

zeezee

Post by zeezee » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:12 pm
Hi to all, to bring you up to date, we've just returned from a 4 day break in a little cottage in the Cotswolds (thanks to this months IVA payment). It has done the both of us the world of good, especially my wife (we actually went into a pub and spoke to people!!). You really don't appreciate things until you can't have them, and after ????years of having no holiday, we really did appreciate those four days.

Moving on, a question popped into my head while we were away. What happens if I am refused bankruptcy, does anyone know?

Thanks to all.

Zeezee.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:40 pm
ZeeZee

You will not be refused bankrupty if you are already struggling to make the payments in an IVA. It is extremely rare for Courts to refuse to make an order, and this will only happen if the Judge thinks you have acted recklessly or are trying to avoid paying your creditors when you could pay.

For further details contact me at http://melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk

freelili

Post by freelili » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:27 pm
Zee Zee

I just wanted to offer some words of reasurance, I have a disabled child, I was going BR in Jan and like you I attempted the IVA route. My circumstances changed and I did not go through with it. I remember how scared I was about it all. I approached the CAB for help and they told me what would happen and I was not as scared about it. It will just be you and a clerk or occaisionally a judge, in a small room looking through your forms and asking you if you are sure about what you are doing, then you will speak to the OR, usually by phone and that will probalbly be that. If the OR needs to see you again, he/she will let you know. The only thing that may give you a problem is banking. There are only 3 banks who accept undischarged bankrupts. (cant remember but think co-op barclays nationwide) Your bank accounts could be frozen on the day so withdraw enough momey to manage until your new account is in place. Ask for your disability etc to be paid by giro until you are sorted. On the day, the OR usually tells you to open an account after the order is made. I hopw this helps, you have nothing to be ashamed of and I wish you and your wife the best of luck. You will have a new life waiting on the other side, all it takes is a rubber stamp at the court.

Please take care of yourself

LILY
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

freelili

Post by freelili » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:39 pm
I lost my internet connection.

Its easy for me to say dont be scared but not as easy to do, I know, just to finish, these people are human and will see, as we have, that you have made every effort to repay your debt and admire you for it. Remember anyone who cant make a mistake cant do anything.

Good luck

LILY
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.
26 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “the hot hot IVA topics in 2007, 20 replies plus”