can you claim an allowance for smoking ?

33 posts Page 2 of 3

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:04 am
Never tried oysters but never fancied them either!! I could have a prawn allowance as I do love those!!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:27 am
The smoking allowance is an anomolie. I'm sure alcoholics don't get a booze allowance - both addictions, both bad for your health, both legal ergo same difference. Also, if it is the as luxury people can't live without, then why doesn't everyone get a "luxury" allowance. It is just so strange when some people can't afford to feed their kids others get £60 a month for fags.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:34 am
I've never agreed with a smoking allowance (I used to smoke so know how hard it is to give up) but, as you say, we don't get an allowance for drinking if we have a problem.

It's a subject that has been debated on here several times over the years and it will never be agreed upon.

I suppose some could say that those of us who get a Sky allowance shouldn't be allowed to have it when others don't.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

dizzy.r

Post by dizzy.r » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:21 pm
We didn't have a smoking allowance, we never asked because we thought it would be a big 'no' anyway. As a result of it being impossible to fund my OT managed to hit his 30 a day habit on the head almost from the start - the best thing that has happened as a result of our IVA - apart from being the solution to our money worries of course.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:34 pm
Glad he managed to give up dizzy!
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:51 pm
I used to smoke and do confess to an occasional one now but that's always courtesy of a friend in my times of high stress! Probably not had any this year but I won't say it won't happen but at least now I can smoke 2 or 3 a year. Allowance or not?? Not sure, if you smoke then it's important but if you don't maybe it's not fair? Bit like at work some go out for a ciggie break, I don't, I tend to carry on working is that fair?
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:19 pm
My shift buddy at work goes out for a smoke break but it doesn't bother me too much. I used to do it in the past.

I can remember the time when I used to sit at my desk smoking!!
Bob Marley.

parjay

Post by parjay » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:39 pm
I have not siad I cant afford to pay for my kids food!!!

Shining

Post by Shining » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:52 pm
parjay, I hope you don't think anyone has implied that? I've just re-read the thread and can't see it myself, but if you do feel like that it was not intentional I'm sure. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:14 pm
I don't think anyone has implied that at all. We have discussed smoking and other allowances and had a bit of light heartedness along the way but no-one has said that you can't afford to pay for your kids food!
Bob Marley.

winter_blues

Post by winter_blues » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:45 pm
Hmmmm.. ----------------------------- deleted by admin please read the forum ethics and demonstrate respect for all at all times.

Look, it is personal choice - some people get fat on chocolate, some people are armchair Sky tv viewers, some people are heavy drinkers. All bad for your health!.

As you all know an IVA is a stressful process and if people smoked prior to the IVA then it is perfectly reasonable for an allowance to be made. I don't claim for pets which is another personal and expensive lifestyle choice. I do smoke the occasional cigar - perhaps 2 packets of 5 each week 10 x 4 equates to roughly £50 pcm.
Winter-Blues

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:00 pm
I don't think the replies are sad and pathetic at all. We all have our views and should be allowed to voice them.

I am an ex smoker and do know how hard it is to give up. I also drink but don't expect an allowance for that. I watch Sky and claim the minimum allowance for that but it is my social allowance as well as we rarely go out. I claim some for my pets insurance but their food is funded from my weekly allowance.

It varies from person to person and should be sorted out via the IP.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:13 pm
I've just read this thread and I've obviously missed the 'sad and pathetic' replies! I'm not sure that I understand how Sky TV is bad for your health either!

winter_blues

Post by winter_blues » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:11 pm
Skippy, The replies I was referring to are from Broke Of London and Plasticdaft. To say that my claim is "outrageous" is judgmental and inflamatory. To compare an allowance agreed for by the I.P to "champagne allowance" or "pie at football allowance" is silly.

I hope the Admin team will be fair and balanced and remove those remarks.

Parjay asked a sensible and relavant question which was sadly hijacked by the anti smoking brigade.

Why this debt question be moved to the social post is strange?.

Jan is right in that this is a matter for the I.P concerned but that there is scope for an allowance to be made.
Winter-Blues

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:41 pm
Winter Blues - unless the thread is locked then any replies won't be removed as it makes the rest of the the replies look stupid.

We are all entitled to our own opinions - the smoking aspect will always be a bone of contention and has been debated previously.

I have no idea why this has been moved to the social posts.
Bob Marley.
33 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “talking about ...”