Capital One aaargh!!

16 posts Page 1 of 2

sillybilly

Post by sillybilly » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:54 pm
This past week we have now come up to missing our second months payments whilst we wait for our propsal from Melanie's team. RBS and barclaycard have now eased off but Capital One has rung 7-9 times a day since last wednesday. We tend to answer 1 in 4 calls and explain the situation on Saturday one woman slammed the phone down on me and yesterday a man did the same. I was enquiring how they had my husbands mobile number as it was changed 6 months ago and we had not updated it on their records as this is the phone he uses at work and he is not allowed personal calls unless in an emergency. I used the word harrassed but again very politely. We ended up ringing customer services at 15.45 who assured us they had removed the mobile number (still don't know how they had it), and that they would put a hold on phone calls for 8 days. We were so relieved as we started to dread the phone going. Then 16.30 another call to our house and worse still 17.30 a call to my husbands mobile words failed me. We did ignore those calls and thank fully we have not had any today. Fingers crossed our proposal won't be too much longer. These calls whilst I understand we owe them money are just not helpful.
We came with nothing, we leave with nothing.

antm

Post by antm » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:00 pm
There always seems to be one creditor that won't give up, mine was the smallest of my creditors, i can't remember the name of them, thats really bad! i know it was hp for my tele, i only owed £200 on in the end, but they called every day, i thought it odd as another creditor i owed over £20k didn't even call, infact i didn't hear a peep off them, even after i missed 2 payments, but i think they knew i was in trouble as they suggested calling cccs to try and help my money situation out.

I was going to add the calls do stop, and the letters stop coming through the door, its such a relief.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:52 pm
I am sure that we are a whisker away from finalising things for you. Drop me an e-mail to my website confirming your real names so I can have a little check for you.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

sillybilly

Post by sillybilly » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:07 pm
Thanks Melanie I have now done that. Hopefully you will get the email soon.

sillybilly

Post by sillybilly » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:10 pm
Thanks for your words antm, I just hope all goes well and an IVA is approved and we can look forward for once.
How I look forward to no phone calls.

Til

Post by Til » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 pm
Don't worry Sillybilly - the silence of the phone and emptiness of the letter box is amazing once the IVA is approved - it's very appreciated after the stress before the calm :o)
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 pm
Hi there

I have just checked our scheduling, and can see that your IVA will be ready next week and one of my colleagues will be calling you to arrange for us to have a chat. Not long now and I look forward to catching up with you both next week.

sillybilly

Post by sillybilly » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:25 pm
Thank you Melanie that was fast work. I am impressed [:)]

country girl

Post by country girl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:31 pm
Hi
I owed Capital One money but I never received any calls from them just a couple of letters. Odd isnt it.
Lnda

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:13 am
i am sure the anti harassment laws could be employed in these cases?

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:52 am
The problem you have is that looking at things from the creditors point of view,people could just claim to be setting up an IVA when they are just in fact stalling for time in making a payment. I am in no way defending the creditors,but you have to understand that they are just trying to get back whats owed to them.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:04 am
I agree with Paul. They have no idea if what we are saying is correct or not, the call centres get paid a pittance anyway and need to make up their money. Half of them have no idea what a DMP or IVA is anyway.

What I will say is that they don't need to phone quite so often during the day, and once the creditors have received notification from the IP that an IVA is being sought, this should be fed down to the call centres so they back off.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:18 am
Well I don't see why people trying out for IVAs cannot get the benefit of the 30 day moritorium on chasing, currently only afforded to the "free/charity" sector in DMP cases. Talk about a two tiered system!

And when I tell a creditor that my client is looking to enter into a DMP, I expect that to be taken seriously at the creditor end.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:55 am
I agree that creditors should back off, but it's never going to happen is it?

Once they've been 'officially' informed by an IP though, they should not contact the debtor.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

micawber

Post by micawber » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:25 am
i had a problem with capital one they kept calling me at work despite me telling them that couldn't take personal calls they persisted.it was really embarrassing to be contacted on a public phone over a deeply private matter.
my other piece of advice copperfield is mr micawcer said, annual income £20 annual expenditure £19/19s/6d result happiness, annual income £20 annual expenditure £20/6d result misery.
charles dickens
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Harrassment by creditors ?”