Car Expenses Which, What & How..

5 posts Page 1 of 1

markysimmo

Post by markysimmo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:11 pm
Hi all

My parents are looking into buying me a car as i got rid of mine in my first year of an IVA

How can you prove petrol costs to put down on an i&e form for an annual review ??

Also do you have to prove Car Tax, Insurance, and how much would you put down for MOT's, Servicing etc ??

It will only be a small car clio, fiesta etc ??
Roll on October 1st 2010 !!!!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:24 pm
Hi and welcome,

You can prove your petrol costs by collecting recent petrol receipts and submitting them.

As to car tax I just divided the amount by 12, didn't have to provide anything, same for insurance. Just told them how much I was paying. MOT's are pretty much a standard price, and servicing would be by invoices. I did have to send them a photocopy of the registration document for the car.

Just put it all down on your I&E. Shouldn't be a problem.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

markysimmo

Post by markysimmo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:28 pm
Thanks a lot Jan...

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:05 pm
As a general allowance for car maintenance, I would suggest a budget of £35 per month, and you should budget for your road tax by taking the annual sum payable and divide it by 12. The insurance costs are easily provable by producing a copy of the policy documents, and if you keep your petrol receipts for a few of weeks, this will indicate a weekly average figure which can easily be justified.

How will the cost of running the car affect your IVA payments in comparision to what you are currently spending on public transport?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

markysimmo

Post by markysimmo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:17 pm
Thanks Melanie...great site this with some good advice
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “my car, can I keep it, repairs, etc”