Car Hire

9 posts Page 1 of 1

looby

Post by looby » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:27 am
I have an IVA but I travel for business (including the USA/Canada). In USA/Canada you need a credit card to hire a car. What can I do? I have looked into the prepaid credit cards you can get but most do not let you hire a car - only one does, and that is at their discretion. Not all retailers in the US accept Maestro debit cards for payment which is what I have now I have an IVA. Also, in these areas some hotels do not accept cash payment (all to do with terrorism etc). I now have a big problem when travelling alone. Any ideas/advice welcome!

l
L

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:30 am
Hi, looby.

Are you self-employed? If not, why doesn't your employer pay the hire car or provide you with a company credit card? As far as I am aware, company credit cards are OK in an IVA because it is not you personally incurring the debt, your employer is.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:02 pm
A shame that this was not considered prior to you entering into the IVA, I often leave provision for clients in the same situation as you to retain the use of one credit card, with a limited balance so long as the account is repaid in full at the end of each month when expenses are repaid.

If your employer cannot help, do you have a family member who would take one out for you and allow you to have a named card>

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

looby

Post by looby » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:05 pm
Thanks for your advice, this is really good as I didn't realise I could have a card via a family member if I have an IVA. My Mum has said she is willing to do this as I am not going to use it for anything else other than hire cars and to guarantee bookings of hotel rooms. I have been promoted since I took the IVA out you see, so didn't realise the problem would occur. Thanks ever so much, you have taken a big weight off my mind - I was worried it would affect my job. Have a lovely weekend in the sunshine.

L
L

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:38 pm
The situation of employees paying business expenses then claiming them back has cropped up a few times in this site. I can understand petrol & other minor expenses as I also have to do that, but for employers to expect employees to pay for things such as car hire and hotel accommodation seems ridiculous. I have been in the same job for over 13 years so maybe things have changed. Even before my IVA I wouldn’t have been able to pay those sort of things then wait to get reimbursed.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:21 pm
Hi
Great advice from Melanie,ask a family member if you can be a named additional cardholder.
Your family member is totally liable for the debt not you,so you are not taking credit yourself.
Brilliant
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

looby

Post by looby » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:54 am
Hi Sensible77, I agree with your comments but unfortunately in the US some hotels won't let you pay in advance - my company did offer to do this and the hotel said they couldn't! I presume this is because of reimbursement in case of cancellation or changes? With car hire, they take your details at the start and then don't claim anything off it until after you return the car - if car is undamaged and you didn't upgrade etc, nothing will be taken from the card anyway - it is only done to protect themselves.

L
L

Sensible77

Post by Sensible77 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:46 am
Thanks, Looby. These are just some of the things that never cross your mind when you're not in an IVA. I never stop learning!

lawsonjoe

Post by lawsonjoe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:55 am
Yeah! I have three rental cars and running my business very smoothly. I did hire from http://www.frontierleasing.co.uk/ Frontier Vehicle Leasing provides a complete vehicle acquisition and management service to businesses throughout the UK. It’s really very good and reliable for hiring cars. Hope you will get best deal.
Best of luck!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “my car, can I keep it, repairs, etc”