Car Insurance

22 posts Page 1 of 2

Wizzard

Post by Wizzard » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:40 pm
Hi Peeps and peepettes

I've just received my Insurance Renewal papers through the post and the cost has increased by 102%. I have tried other insurance companies and despite having at least 3 years no claims bonus they are all in the £370-390 area. I have a feeling its because I'm in an IVA though they won't admit it though they do admit to doing a credit search. I can't afford a doubling of premiums, the car is only worth £1400 on a good day. Yet I can't afford not too. Rock and a hard place country innit.
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:45 pm
That's ridiculous Ray - talk about rip off Britain! I pay monthly for my insurance and I've just worked out that it's nearly £500 - I'm 33 years old, I've got full no claims bonus and I only drive a 1.4 Ford Fiesta. How on earth do all the boy racers in their Subaru Impreza's get insurance (if they do!)?

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:54 pm
Your credit rating should not affect your car insurance premium - but I think that car insurance generally has whizzed up this year.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

hillsy

Post by hillsy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:07 pm
Hi,

I renewed my car Insurance earlier this year. I am with the post office. I drive a vauxhall tigra and it is £17.05 per month third party fire and theft. I was paying £38.00 per month last year with Tesco. If you have not done so already go onto www.confused.com to compare prices. I am glad I did

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:11 pm
get on gocompare.com. They cant possibly all run credit searches or you'd have footprints all over your files.

Or even look on quidco,coz you can get cash back on buying insurance through certain places,which may equate to a saving.
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Wizzard

Post by Wizzard » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:53 pm
hillsy wrote:

Hi,

I renewed my car Insurance earlier this year. I am with the post office. I drive a vauxhall tigra and it is £17.05 per month third party fire and theft. I was paying £38.00 per month last year with Tesco. If you have not done so already go onto www.confused.com to compare prices. I am glad I did

Thanks for that Hillsy. Usi9ng that site I have now renewed my insurance at £14.00 pm Which is a hell of a lot better than £37.00pm.
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:57 pm
what a great saving. It pays to shop around for everything nowadays,insurance companies reply on people being lazy and thinking its too much bother to change companies so they think they can charge you what you like. Bet if you call up your original insurers they offer you a cheaper quote,just reply that they should have offered you their best quote to start with and then they wouldnt have lost a customer!!!
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

sjbyron

Post by sjbyron » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 pm
Hi Im with Sainsburys and they have just added a charge of £84.70 to go out in September, I paid a deposit in the beginning and was told that would cover two months premium as mine comes for renewal in the end of October that doesnt make sense.

They have advised that it may increase so I did a qoute with Esure (who own Sainsburys) and it was £20 less a month, not sure whats going on their.

I also did a qoute with KwikFit, and for £63 a month I would get Breakdown insurance, Sat Nav, Key Protection, PPI, Legal Cover and Personal Accident the APR is 39.9% for paying monthly but I may go with them.

I think its because of my IVA That my premiums are changing too.
Stu J Byron

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:26 pm
The searches the insurance companies do on your credit file is usually to do with verifying your identity, and although you can see them if you check the record, other people can't.

If you ask for a premium to be paid in full, you can check out how much it costs. They have no need to do a credit check if you are paying in full. You can then go back and change it to monthly and see if that makes much of a difference (there will be some, as they put interest on).

Although you are paying in instalments, if you don't pay one of them, the only person to lose out will be you as the insurance company will demand your certificate back.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

goulda

Post by goulda » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:14 pm
My insurance is with swift cover (internet service only) it is the cheapest by miles.
A. G. Gould

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:19 pm
Funny how when you search on the comparisson websites that those insurance companies who are creditors show premiums either well above the rest or are unable to quote.

I looked at their site and yes apparently the comparison sites do a credit check.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:24 pm
I did my daughters insurance through a comparison site earlier this year, and it was by far the cheapest quote I could find.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:28 pm
I've just done a couple of quotes online so see if it would be worth cancelling my insurance and going with someone else but they wouldn't let me protect my no claims as Dave and I have both had accidents. Looks like I'll be sticking with Churchill!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:40 pm
If there's any retired police officers on here who are members of NARPO, give Roland Smith a ring. Our car insurance has been dirt cheap this year with good benefits as well.
Bob Marley.

Kazzy E

Post by Kazzy E » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:47 pm
Hi Guys, as you know, we have just ordered our new car and have been told the renewal in October will be £100 per year roughly less than this year because we've downsized the engine. That's for fully comprehensive cover with protected no claims. We are well happy with that. We're with Churchill and have been for a few years now, I'd certainly recommend them. Kazzy x
There is light at the end of that dark tunnel. Promise.

Visit my blog at: http://kazzy.blogs.iva.co.uk/
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “postings for august”