car insurance?

33 posts Page 1 of 3

mrsbee

Post by mrsbee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:20 pm
Hi
Just a quick question we entered into our IVA Dec 10, we have just recieved the new car insurance quote and it has more than doubled! Is this because of our credit rating (we pay monthly direct debit) just had another quote that was very reasonable however they won't let us pay monthly and we think it is because of the credit rating? Any advice.
Thanks in advance.
Debt free after a successful f&f :)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:32 pm
The insurance doubling is happening to many people at the moment -- don't think it's IVA related. However the lack of monthly installments from the other company might well be if they have run a credit check.

I might add that all is not lost, as some companies don't seem to mind. Mine(Direct Line) were OK, but it was a renewal, so they might not repeat the checks.
Last edited by Foggy on Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

mrsbee

Post by mrsbee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm
Thanks for your prompt reply, we have just had another quote with monthly payments from Swift Cover and fingers crossed that should be ok, it is only £4 more per month. Will have a BIG impact on people's monthly budgets what with the rising cost of fuel and food too!
Debt free after a successful f&f :)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:07 pm
You should be ok - I think everyone is suffering with higher insurance premiums at the moment, regardless of your credit rating.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:13 pm
I doubt it's anything to do with your credit rating just as others say due to ever increasing premiums, always worth shopping around you may be surprised by the results. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:39 am
Excessive claims over the poor winter period and the increase in uninsured drivers is all adding to everyones annual bill! As with everything else make sure you shop around for savings!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:23 pm
Ive just gone through all the various comparison sites and the best quote was from marks and spencers!!!!
No awkward questions and paying monthly-dont think the iva was even considered.
full and final accepted January 2015

iva agreed; August 2010
iva would have completed; August 2017
extra year thank's to NRAM

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:37 pm
Good news Andrea - I've not taken out car insurance with a new company recently but took out fresh pet insurance last year with Sainsburys and was accepted for monthly payments with no problems at all.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:13 pm
I have been with m&s for 2 years now. Cheapest for me.

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

caveman

Post by caveman » Sun May 01, 2011 11:12 am
ive just renewed my policy and its also gone up .... uninsured drivers are not helping at all but its normal and nowt to do with the iva !! my co. had no probs doing an installment plan as everyone has to have insrance ,they dont credit score like a loan would as far as i know .... its the same with mobile phone plans .

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:33 am
Mobile phone companies credit score if you're looking to change but not if you stay with the same one.

Insurers usually do a check to make sure you are who you say you are and the address details are correct.
Bob Marley.

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Sun May 01, 2011 4:33 pm
I found on the comparisson sites that previous creditors charged well over all the others.

I worked out HSBC for example were nearly double the cheapest insurance available. I suspect the IVA had a hand in this quote.

I went with LV in the end.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun May 01, 2011 4:57 pm
I've been with the Co-op for the last few years. I usually shop around but I didn't last year as they only put it up by £20 and the one other quote I got couldn't get anywhere near that!

My insurance is due in a couple of months and I've done a couple of quotes, which have been quite a bit higher than last year's insurance, so if the Co-op come in anywhere near that I won't bother looking.

I won't be using comparison websites either after reading about how they sell on your details!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun May 01, 2011 5:05 pm
I tend not to bother to shop around as whenever I have needed the services of my insurance company they have been there and the service has been great. That said, when I so have a peek out of curiosity, my current company always comes out on top --- they don't appear on the comparison sites, so I don't tent to bother with them, I usually go direct to whatever site I am comparing with.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun May 01, 2011 5:16 pm
I was with Churchill for years and they were excellent when I had to claim. The only reason I changed from them is because they put their prices up by such a huge amount.
33 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “Cost of living in an IVA”