car insurance?

33 posts Page 2 of 3

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Sun May 01, 2011 5:50 pm
I was not aware they did that Skippy.

What I did was put down a dummy phone number on the sites. Then apply directly to the cheapest one, LV, after seeing their quote.

Although it had gone up, I managed to save £200 on what my old insurance company were then quoting last time round.

I'm not looking forward to the next quote, my dad had a prang which was his fault, luckily he's ok and we're fully comp.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun May 01, 2011 6:33 pm
There was something in the press about it recently.

I've used a dummy phone number since I had several run ins with Kwik Fit insurance when they wouldn't leave me alone! I've also got a separate Hotmail account for if I do use the comparison sites so I don't get everything coming into my main account.

Glad your Dad was ok x

CoverItAll

Post by CoverItAll » Mon May 02, 2011 1:06 am
When Insurers offer monthly premiums themselves they will not normally bother with the expense of a credit check. If you don't pay the premium, they just cancel the cover.

Some Insurers use a premium funder. This involves a separate company advancing the annual prewmium to the Insurer. As this constitutes a loan to you, it involves a credit check. It also does not normally allow you to cancel cover before the next renewal date.
John Tegg
john.tegg@dms4asu.co.uk
http://www.paymentcover.co.uk
STANDARD TERMS for Forum Members for Home Insurance, Self Employed Tradesman's Public Liability, and Short Term Income Protection.

lancslass

Post by lancslass » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:29 pm
My insurance premium doubled in May before I got my IVA, I was paying monthly but changed to quarterly. It was hard paying the first payment but now I save enough each month for when its due again. I also stopped all the extras on the policy and have ended up paying alot less. I didnt know some of the extras were there until I queried why the premium was so high. It pays to check exactly what you are paying for and if you dont have to.
28 down 32 to go, seems like a long way but one bit at a time

janez

Post by janez » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:49 pm
i am with AA insurance and it has just gone up £24 for the year which obviously works out an extra £2 per month also my homes and contents insurance was due and that had gone up £30 a year (£3.00 a month extra)over 10 months, so very happy with that. house insurance with saga, for the over 50s tho!!!!
Last edited by janez on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:08 pm
I'll be looking for quotes from the over 50's Saga after January. My renewals are due in Feb/March and I'm sure the premiums will have increased.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:12 pm
I've actually found Saga to be quite expensive compared to the company I usually use.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:15 pm
I'll get a quote and see how it goes. Apparently so I've been told NFU is very good for a quote too according to my boss so I'll be asking them too x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm
My mum was with Saga and they were very expensive compared to some others and she ended up going with the Co-op.

I would be very careful about cancelling extras. One year I didn't have a courtesy car in my policy and it ended up costing a fortune as I had an accident and had to pay for a car myself. I always have protected no claims, legal protection and a courtesy car.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:00 pm
Must admit that a courtesy car is a must for me - I'd be lost without that. Never bothered with legal protection though.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

louiseh

Post by louiseh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:54 pm
I do think most insurance companies try it on, you don't change your insrance for a couple of years, they inflate the price beacuse they think you can't be bothered to shop around. You get nothing for customer loyalty these days.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:38 pm
I haven't found that with the Co-op - I'm in my third year with them and my insurance went up £3 and then £36 which is pretty good compared to other companies I've been with.

Jan, I only pay about £20 a year for legal cover so it's not too bad. People are so quick to sue these days so it's better to be safe than sorry!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:53 pm
They are Skip, I agree but I've just never bothered with it at all.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:27 pm
To be honest I'm useless and don't know if I've got it or not but I'm guessing it's best to be covered as you never know. x

Orange78

Post by Orange78 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:02 pm
What I am finding obscene is the extra now charged to pay by instalments, I don't remember it being this much extra in previous years?
33 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Cost of living in an IVA”