Car issues

Helping to resolve consumer disputes
2 posts Page 1 of 1

A_MPK88

Post by A_MPK88 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:25 am
I have previously posted about this but now need further advice. Apologies in advance for the long winded post.

Back in February somone went into the back of me at speed and completely wrote off both our cars.
Now previous to the IVA I had already had said finance car for over a year at a payment of £230 a month. They allowed me to keep this due to having to transport clients for work, transporting disabled and other dogs with equipment and needing something reliable for long commutes to head office.

I had received a part payment for my car and the other part paid off the finance company. The amount I received could not get me a suitable car for the purpose I needed it.

I contacted StepChange and over a few days they gave me massively varying and contradictory advice. I sent a complaint as during this time I was unable to go to work due to not having a vehicle.

They got back to me on behalf of the IP explicitly in black and white giving me permission to use the money that was received as a deposit on a new vehicle as long as those payments were the same as previous payments and the term wasn't longer. I went ahead and got a like for like car.

They then called me on the day my car was arriving to say that this needs to be put before the creditors and can I send it back, I told them I was already in agreement.

This has made me sick with worry as what if the creditors say no, I'm not really understanding why it has to go to them as this is already in my budget, there is no change. I was only going on advice that was given to me after a week of being back and forth on the phone to them. It also says they have to give creditors 28 days notice to meet. I am not sure how they would have expected me to get to work in that time as I'm already hanging on a thread with them.

I am really stressed and haven't stopped crying about this. Someone wrote off my car through no fault of my own and I feel I've been left in and awful position.

I am really not sure what I can do if they come back and they are not happy. The only asset I had was the car. I have nothing else. I did not want to go bankrupt as I wanted to pay back the money, but I feel I've shot myself in the foot.

Any advice welcomed, thank you for reading.

Breezy

Post by Breezy » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:09 am
First -- don't panic ! They should send you a copy of the variation they are putting to creditors, so you can see exactly what they are saying. Hopefully it should be a "rubber stamp job ". The 28 days notice, although a pain in the rear end, is mandatory.

I have seen arrangements very similar to this going through without a variation, so can only assume that StepChange are doing a belt and braces job so stop anything biting anyone on said rear end further down the line.

Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.
I am not qualified to give advice and can only state my opinions, based on my IVA experiences.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Disputes and IVA Mediation”